97 f250 smokes alot on startup and until warm..

bsdracing

I have a 1997 f250 ext cab short bed with 261000k runs great starts fast and just smokes white until completely warm. anyone have ideas. it has newer injectors and o rings and new glow plugs and relay,fuel filter,oil and filter top and bottom end (HPOP oil changed). when its plugged in it still smokes just as bad on start up.

it does have blow by but this is like fuel or something I have a 2000 f350 7.3 with 261000k as well and it smokes a little until warm but nothing like this.

does anyone know if the autolite glow plugs will make it smoke on start? also looking back I only changed 6 of them can two cyl really smoke that much? I know the auto lites have a tendency to mushroom bn the ends and break off and I am going to change them. also how do you check if the glow plugs are bad the ones I pulled out didnt look bad and when hooked to a battery glowed fine I thought

Bad injector.. My brother has a '96, his in injectors have 50K on them and had one fail and it smokes horrid blue smoke when its cold..

it runs fine and they are new injectors I'm thinking maybe chitty glow plugs?

check glow plugs first, if that is not the problem it could be an injector cup leaking, possibly antifreeze burning off/

I've got a 97 7.3 259k and I have to let the glow plugs cycle 3-4 times and it will blow a good puff of white smoke for a little while. And will change to blue smoke after a little bit if I continue to let it idle. But once I get in it and go the smoke goes away. I'm sure mine needs glow plugs.. I'm betting to guess they are factory plugs as dad owned it since it had 100k on it.

I have a 97 with 348k on it.....you can bet mine smokes, lol! If you changed the injectors and did nothing with the cups, it's more than likely the cups. I assume it didn't smoke like this before you changed them?? Did you install stock replacements or upgrade? Rosewood Diesel has the cup tool and cups online.

Last edited:
yeah that sounds about like mine and I dont know if it would smoke before the injectors because two injectors were bad and it was smoking constantly I changed injectors and o rings and it just smokes at start up and then if let idle it smokes some blue smoke but if I drive it until warm 100% of the smoke goes away and runs great if it was cups dont you think it would always smoke?

keep that oil clean... new injectors or not... my buddy put new ones in his '99 didn't even think about oil and would just pour in out of anything if it was low... his does the same thing... one of my '97`s does it but I have a weak AA... it also cleans up when warm too... my $.02

yeah we have been driving it and I fallowed my girlfriend home tonight and there is no smoke at all when warm... but do still need to check out the glow plugs I didnt change. how do you tell if the glow plug is bad? I thought they would burn off the tips and just have less surface area to heat... but all the plugs in my 2000 f350 and her 97 f250 all look about the same all the same length just some a little crustier than others? and I tested a few with a battery and they seem to glow good and hot?

Back