A few raw materials found in clearcoats

TooMuchBoost

Comp Diesel Sponsor
I made a batch of clear this morning and thought I would share the 2 most important components of any coating and in this case clearcoat.

Resin is the foundation of any coating and this particular one is a true polyurethane high grade resin that is crystal clear in color. Resin is also one of the most expensive components in a coating which is why many companies choose to add a pigment extender such as kaolin in place of resin. Lets say your resin costs $6 per pound and kaolin costs .25 per pound for every pound of resin you choose to remove (cheapen the product/screw the consumer) you add 2 pounds of pigment extender. We don't have a single ounce of pigment extender at our facility because it's not consistent with our idea of what a quality coating manufacturer does.

The resins consistency by itself is along the lines of warm molasses:

warehouse001.jpg

The other critical component is your selection of UV inhibitors which prevent UV light from degrading the coating. If you cheap out on UV inhibitors whether in quantity or quality or a combination of both your coating will yellow, delaminate and crack among other things.

One thing to note here is some cheap clears on the market only use one UV inhibitor to protect the clear itself while a quality coating company uses a UV inhibitor that protects the clear and another UV inhibitor to protect the basecoat or color beneath the clear from UV degradation.

That's what you see here...a UV inhibitor to protect the clear being made and another UV inhibitor to protect the color which the clear is being applied over. These two are also designed to compliment each other in the clearcoat itself.

warehouse012.jpg

warehouse013.jpg

Last edited:
I'll just bring my truck to you when it needs painted that way I don't have to think about it.

Back