A little IDI fab...

Ill have some better stuff coming soon. My P-pump is getting its new cam tomorrow, and should be bringing my pump home next week.

After that the shortblock is getting blown back apart so that I can take another .020" off the pistons, Drill and tap my block for 9/16" head studs, O-ring the block, and a partial fill.

Sometime in all that mix I am going to be making an intermediate shaft for the pump, Adjustable Timing gears for both the cam and pump, intermediate shaft housing, pump mount/Intake manifold/valley pan, and some other stuff... That's just the top of the engine. I am also going to be fabbing up the turbo kit, but im not sure if Im going to run logs, or tubular headers yet...

Now that I have the pump issues sorted, I can start the fab on my engine.

Just thought I would throw this in here.... It was from two days ago, the turbo kit above with a 366.... 90cc pump, then a bigger pump.... Still tuning, I expect over 400/800 next dyno day...

Ignore the advertising, I didn't want to make a whole new video to post in 2 forums..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8lO4EvwNBI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8lO4EvwNBI[/ame]

Now what kinda money does he have wrapped up in that to get 350hp......

What does it matter?

Anyone can drop in the easy hp flavour of the month (insert common rail/ duramax/ lsx whatever parts your flaps).

If someone wants to run what they've got then good on em, there are things to be learned from making these things go hard that could be applied to other engines and I appreciate the fact that people are willing to have a go and share the experience. $.02

Impressive for the old idi. What is peak loaded boost on it? Any issues lifting the heads? What was going on with the valve train, floating valves?

Engine is just a stock IDIT with a cam and headstuds. Externally, if he bought everything new, it would probably be about 5K or so, maybe a little more, but that's buying full turbo kits and stuff. If a guy can fab, could do it for a lot less. At that point the money is only really in the pump.

What does it matter?

Anyone can drop in the easy hp flavour of the month (insert common rail/ duramax/ lsx whatever parts your flaps).

If someone wants to run what they've got then good on em, there are things to be learned from making these things go hard that could be applied to other engines and I appreciate the fact that people are willing to have a go and share the experience. $.02

Yes, its definitely a very different animal to squeeze power from.... Almost nothing other than some very basic principles crosses over into the cummins realm... Its like having the Fuel limitation of a Heui 7.3 (Worse actually), but not having any tuning control other than a couple of pressure adjustments. The pumps are so bad for performance, to get the volume out of them, you have to have an equivalent of a 5x20 DI injector nozzle and sub-140bar pop pressures... The HX35, which will hate life, but still do 400hp on a 5.9, will only do 200hp on this engine...

Things are coming around though. His truck was 212whp/450wtq with a banks kit and the same pump in the first numbers, that's how he originally rebuilt the engine. Everything else we have just bolted on to get the bigger numbers.

Impressive for the old idi. What is peak loaded boost on it? Any issues lifting the heads? What was going on with the valve train, floating valves?

The most we saw was 25psi, and I think a lot of that was due to his dirty ass spectre air filer... I told him its time to upgrade, even if its just a 6637, should be seeing about 30psi at least. No issues lifting the heads on a 7.3. The 1/2" 8740 studs at 150ft/lbs do the trick just fine, even with a stock HG on stock compression.

Valve train issues were originally thought to be a bent pushrod (Stock PR's and Springs), even N/A IDI's bend pushrods occasionally for some odd reason, but visually with the cover off, everything was tight, and the noise was slowly going away, so it may just have been pumped lifters. We are going to drop some 910's in before the next dyno.

The big thing will be making the dynamic timing functional again. I locked the timing out because it was shown on the stand to make about 10-15cc with more inlet pressure and less housing pressure, so I wanted to see if I could take advantage of that, Just hurt things in the end. Most power and boost were made at 6* btdc because that's where it lit the turbo best, the more we advanced the timing, it carried it out better, but the graph would slightly shrink each time and we would lose boost, it just wasn't lighting the charger. If I make the timing functional again, I can back timing down to light the turbo and hopefully it will stay under it up to at least 2800. If I can get it to pull the power curve back to 2800, with the torque it made, its worth another 30-40whp... With a bit more tweaking, I think 400/800 is right there, it has the response of a 400whp truck, it was just having issues from 2300-2800rpm with something...

Last edited:
What does it matter?

Well Mr. Dbag it doesn't, so pull the stick out of your a$$. Only reason is to know what it would take.

The most we saw was 25psi, and I think a lot of that was due to his dirty ass spectre air filer... I told him its time to upgrade, even if its just a 6637, should be seeing about 30psi at least. No issues lifting the heads on a 7.3. The 1/2" 8740 studs at 150ft/lbs do the trick just fine, even with a stock HG on stock compression.

Valve train issues were originally thought to be a bent pushrod (Stock PR's and Springs), even N/A IDI's bend pushrods occasionally for some odd reason, but visually with the cover off, everything was tight, and the noise was slowly going away, so it may just have been pumped lifters. We are going to drop some 910's in before the next dyno.

The big thing will be making the dynamic timing functional again. I locked the timing out because it was shown on the stand to make about 10-15cc with more inlet pressure and less housing pressure, so I wanted to see if I could take advantage of that, Just hurt things in the end. Most power and boost were made at 6* btdc because that's where it lit the turbo best, the more we advanced the timing, it carried it out better, but the graph would slightly shrink each time and we would lose boost, it just wasn't lighting the charger. If I make the timing functional again, I can back timing down to light the turbo and hopefully it will stay under it up to at least 2800. If I can get it to pull the power curve back to 2800, with the torque it made, its worth another 30-40whp... With a bit more tweaking, I think 400/800 is right there, it has the response of a 400whp truck, it was just having issues from 2300-2800rpm with something...

I'm still pretty impressed with your work and the outcome of this. Keep it up! :clap:

Yeah, I think the most impressive part of that dyno day, was that when we loaded the truck down with the dyno, it maintained 1700RPM at 500+wtq consistently at WOT, and with the bigger pump, it held 700+wtq at 1600RPM... Im sure that was hell on the bearings because low RPM oil flow is complete crap on these engines, but for the average guy pulling a trailer, that's a whole lot more telling of the way these engines feel when hopped up. Hopefully someday we will have a bolt on affordable V-style/Inline pump, I think it would completely change the way these engines are looked at.

Back