AFC lever removal...how hard is it?

1stgen.12

Im starting to want a lil more power out of my 91. ive got the fuel screw turned in a few turns, not really sure how much i can go before a runaway, and i heard that taking the afc lever out gives the truck full fuel all the time. my question is how hard is it to take out and re-install, and will the truck run away with out it in and how much more fuel am i going to be able to push through my stock sticks?

Very simple, take the pump top off and use a punch to drive the balls out, take the lever out out and you're done. I noticed quite a bit more power, more smoke and higher egts when i did mine. It doesn't effect the governor so no worries about runaway. I can't give you a number on how much more fuel it gives, but it def gives more. Also there will a lot of smoke before the turbo lights so if you're worried about that I wouldn't do it. Just remember to re-index your throttle shaft properly when you reinstall the linkage.

is there any pics anywhere on the forum to show me which balls to drive out? i dont really feel like taking the wrong thing out! im not worried about the smoke:)

In a higher HP truck a functining AFC is essential to power... So keep the lever around in case you ever put it back in.

thanks, the pictures did help. one question though, if i thread the holes were the bb's come out to thread a plug in it, if i ever want to put the lever back in, will the bb's stay in place? i guess another question...is there anything else i can do to this thing to get more fuel with out buying some different injectors? ive grinded the fuel pin, turned the star wheel like 2-3 turns i think( cant remember for sure) cranked on the fuel screw a couple turns, and did the 3200 gov spring. i dont really want to grind on the afc lever, but if it helps out alot, ill prolly consider it.

Crank the fuel screw in til it's close to runaway and then back it out a 1/2 turn. Also when I took the afc lever out, I just punched the BB's back in with no sealant at all and it was fine, no leaks. I wouldn't grind it because there is no going back, just take it out so when you get your massive injectors you can just put it back in.

Also you can make sure you're gettting full travel on the throttle linkage, I know RSwords did a writeup on it, maybe he will be kind enough to throw in a link.

Back