Ahhh CRAP!! Overheated

zukgod1

Old fart
Well my pa was a cruzin dow thiar road the other day and failed to look at the temp gauge and I'll be if the bolts holding the fan pully on didnt all but one fall out...

So it ate the belt off and proceded to get a bit warm.
He said it hit 230ish, it didnt boil over at any time and the ECM never cut power due to the overheat condition which I have had it do while towing before, hit the top of the safe range ande the ECM said slow down there buddy.

After the repaires it runs fine idles fine temps are where they should be, nothing seems to be abnormal.

Is there something specific I should look for to see if there was any damamge done?

bummed out
dan

Last edited:
I should also mention my dad is preaty savy whwn it comes to a engine in trouble, he shut it right down and started it approx every 5 min or so and progressing the length in between restarts as it cooled just to keep the engine from developing hot spots or warping something.

dan

How's the oil look dan? are all other temps (water, EGT, etc) normal?

Ya know what, I haven't had the truck sense. I hope he checked it.
now I'm freekin out.

I quizzed him vigorously on the operating temps from then on and all is good. I did get to drive it for a 120 mile run but till I was in the drivers seat I didn't even think about the oil, so while driving I watched the gauges like a hawk and nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary at all.
I'll be getting it tonight or in the morning and sounds like the first thin I'll be doing is checking the oil.

See I tend to look at things like this as opportunities to make changes, like o ringing the head :evil :evil

Good way to look at it, bad way to do it LOL

I hope all is well with the truck Dan, but I would definitely keep an eye on the coolant and oil.

Well I picked it up today and proceeded to check and double check everything.
I cant find anything wrong, coolant is still full, oil is a little low (time for a change).
Oil pressure right above 40 where it always has been, temp just a smidge above 190 (95deg outside) today while towing the cadi home uphill. On level ground it ran just under or right on 190 again same as always.

Ya think I should torque the head for giggles?

Thanks guys
dan

.....if it an't broke, don't fix it.:bang

The only time I've seen metal warp is when it's melting or cooling down wayyyy too fast. I think you'll be ok.

Burner said:
.....if it an't broke, don't fix it.:bang

The only time I've seen metal warp is when it's melting or cooling down wayyyy too fast. I think you'll be ok.

That's what I was hopeing to hear.

dan

Billysgoat said:
Now Dan, you could go ahead and just stud the head......merely being cautious LOL

Hmm, I wonder if I can get away with that...
I'll see if I can sneek it past the book keeper

dan

Back