Airdog pulsating

dangerous06

diesel tech
My fuel pump has started to pulse. Already blew one guage. Goes between 9 and 15 psi rapidly. I thought maybe the CP-3 was going but now if I just have the key on it does it! It's a raptor 150 with internal return. Anybody have this issue?

I was using an oil pressure gauge and had issues with mine pulsing although I'm a 12v guy. I replaced the gauge after failure with a moroso fuel pressure gauge and it shows rock steady. In my experience I believe the gauge itself was the issue.

If the pressure is fluctuating in the pump you should be able to hear the motor change tone.

Put a needle valve on your gauge and close it almost all the way down.

If the pressure is fluctuating in the pump you should be able to hear the motor change tone.

X2. you will be able to hear it pulsating if the pump is fluctuating pressure. Pull the cover off the back of the pump and see if there are any wear marks on the cover or if there is any gunk stuck around the gerotor. You can also pull the fittings out and check inside there to see if there is any build up.

OH Yeah I can hear the pump changing! I'll try and pull the pump apart and check the inlet. I thought these where vacuum sealed? The fass is way to loud! Seen them fail alot more! Still waiting on airdog to reply!!

9-15psi of fuelpress doesn't sound right at all. Way too low. I have AirDog 150 and it doesn't pulsate at all. Sounds like either a bad gauge or pump giving in. There is also the internal pressure spring in the return line fitting to control max press. What is controlling your fuelpress at the injection pump end?

Yeah that's what I thought but the higher fuel pressure is really bad for the CP3 over time! An engineer that works on these pumps pointed out the excess pressure will prematurely wear out the cp3. It's ok for racing only but for everyday driving keep it around 12psi.

Back