alabama cylinder head info

rattlebox93

i know i asked this befoer but what is the concensus on the alabama cylinder head or aftermarket castings because i ended up with one by accident it even has "brazil" and the factory casting number on it :doh: i know they are suposed to have valve seats in them but i could not tell if they did sure didnt look like it and im not sure about the quality of valves and spring in them

1. has anyone ever had a seat fall out of one?
2. are the valves in them the same size as factory heads (they look smaller)
3. are the valves in them of any quality?
4. are the springs and retainers in them any good to any rpm more than stock
5. has anyone ran 60# springs with the valves that come in them
6. has anyone tried porting on one because i already have... basicly smoothed out the inside of all the bowls and smoothed out the runners i was just wondering cause i cut a lot of the intake seat out if it is a seat

i am just trying to decide if i want to use the hardwear that came in it or put my good cummins stuff in it or just use the valves with my 60# springs because i DEFFINATLY dont want to drop a valve or seat i have seen the carnage that a dropped valve seat causes in a commonfail and dont want to experiance that myself thanks for all the input thanks a ton dj

Last edited:
Here are some answers, in bold :)

1. has anyone ever had a seat fall out of one? NO, they aren't pressed in.
2. are the valves in them the same size as factory heads (they look smaller) They are the same size.
3. are the valves in them of any quality? We have run them on some street and some comp applications with no issues.
4. are the springs and retainers in them any good to any rpm more than stock
The exhaust springs are "60LB", the intakes are standard. I would not turn more than 3500 very often with the retainers, they are weak like stock.
5. has anyone ran 60# springs with the valves that come in them Yes
6. has anyone tried porting on one because i already have... basicly smoothed out the inside of all the bowls and smoothed out the runners i was just wondering cause i cut a lot of the intake seat out if it is a seat
Yes, we've ported 75+ of them with good luck.

sweet thanks a ton i was actully going to call you today and ask your opinoin of them because i found you talking about them in another posting i will use my cummins valves in this new head the stems are a little smaller and the look like the stocker will flow a little better i will be using my cummins 60# springs and stock retainers i did not do much porting on it just enough toclean up the ports and runners a little im not gasket matching the exhaust runner this time VERRY BAD IDEA!!! FYI the exhaust manifold WILL break off the side of the head thanks a ton im guessing this is gerrett that posted? thanks again

not sure about Alabama heads, I have bought one from PTC Power.

from your description, they are the same head. I payed 398.00 for mine.

Back