Annoying shake when accelerating

D Twigg

Starting to understand
Ok as the title says. On my 95(truck in sig) when I go to accelerate from a traffic light or stop sign I have an annoying shake. The more the load you put behind the truck the more it shakes. You can really feel it when you step down on the go pedal. Almost feels like a bad u-joint or bent driveshaft but the drive shaft was rebuilt about a year and a half or so ago as i was having problems with carrier bearings. I check the u-joints and all seem fine. I was woundering if anyone else has had this problem before and what was the fix?

Sorry bout the long post and thanks in advanced...
Twigg

Last edited:
It was just rebuild and it did it before the trans. Thats what I thought to.

Ok as the title says. On my 95(truck in sig) when I go to accelerate from a traffic light or stop sign I have an annoying shake. The more the load you put behind the truck the more it shakes. You can really feel it when you step down on the go pedal. Almost feels like a bad u-joint or bent driveshaft but the drive shaft was rebuilt about a year and a half or so ago as i was having problems with carrier bearings. I check the u-joints and all seem fine. I was woundering if anyone else has had this problem before and what was the fix?

Sorry bout the long post and thanks in advanced...
Twigg
Same deal on my 98.5 QC3500, after 4 carrier bearings I ditched the 2piece driveshaft for a larger 1pc driveshaft with upgraded u-joints.

I suspect the carrier bearing again, give it a looksy

Different generation, but my Dad's 05 did the same thing. It was the u-joints. He said they felt nice and tight. And that's because they were seized, not sloppy. Replaced the u-joints and all was good again.

I thought about going to a one piece drive shaft but someone said something about how long the truck was and the torque and heavy loads could put to much stress on the drive shafts. What are your guy's opinions about that?

I guess towards the end of this week when I get payed I'll get new u-joints and give them a try. When I go to get the U-joints is there a different style I should get or what?

I have been running the $15.00 ones from Autozone in the race truck for several years .. make sure you get ones w/o zerk fittings ...

How come get the ones w/o?

RacinDuallie, I forgot to ask, do you have anymore shaking issues with the one piece driveshaft?

Last edited:
They have a 1 piece driveline in the 07.5+ mega cab and crew cab auto trucks.. I plan on going to one in my 98 quad cab long bed.. I hear high speeds aren't favorable with the one piece.. But I reeeealy don't need to be going 100 plus in my truck..

Just because the ujoint doesnt have any movement doesnt mean its not running dry. Remove the drive and move the joint manualy.

RacinDuallie, I forgot to ask, do you have anymore shaking issues with the one piece driveshaft?

the ones with zerks have hollow passages for the grease making them weaker than the ones that dont(solid)

They have a 1 piece driveline in the 07.5+ mega cab and crew cab auto trucks.. I plan on going to one in my 98 quad cab long bed.. I hear high speeds aren't favorable with the one piece.. But I reeeealy don't need to be going 100 plus in my truck..

I don't plan on going 100+ in my truck for a while either. Just as long as it will stand the towing and everything I do now.

Just because the ujoint doesnt have any movement doesnt mean its not running dry. Remove the drive and move the joint manualy.

This is true. I'll be doing thats this week after work at the shop one day.

the ones with zerks have hollow passages for the grease making them weaker than the ones that dont(solid)

That makes alot of sense thank you.

nope. beautiful thing...... be sure to have the new one made with the largest u-joint you can fit. And make sure the driveshaft is dynamically balanced. Mine was about 5bills with the larger joint.

And it's been over 100........

Ok well I guess when I get some extra coin saved up I'll be getting a one piece driveshaft. Do you have any bad vibration or anything at high speeds?

Ok well I guess when I get some extra coin saved up I'll be getting a one piece driveshaft. Do you have any bad vibration or anything at high speeds?
Nope its been great in every aspect. I was goin through carrier bearings with the split shaft arrangement and everything has been smooth and vibration free since.

Ok cool. Did you get it done at the local drive line shop or did you custom order it?

Back