Any 03 Dodges brake crankshafts?

DieselCharger

Just broke the crank on my 03 and can't remember if that has happened on 03s only .truck has about 170,000 and has had a easier life its last 100,000 miles than thing I've owened

Could be y I had my 05 80,000 km and spun the crank I always plug it in now unless it's above 5 degrees

Last edited:
It is parked where I can't plug it in , I drove it that evening 250 miles before I heard a noise. I pulled over right away I thought I lost a valve seat. It was a noise I have never heard before it sounded like a box of rocks was rolling around in the pan but was not consistent with rpm or load.

We have had a 05 and a 07 6.7 break in the last few months. Niether truck were much more than stock. Mind you this is south east texas so temp was not a real issue.

We have had a 05 and a 07 6.7 break in the last few months. Niether truck were much more than stock. Mind you this is south east texas so temp was not a real issue.

Was not sure if there are any years to stay away from .

Seems to be hit or miss. No idea what caused the breaks either. No issues with bearings or rods that we could find prior to the break. Injectors also checked out on both.

I think you just had bad luck. Think of how many people have them in the northern tier where it's -20 for months at a time.

a buddy of mine broke his in his 03 doing a 70 mph roll, at 1000hp or so.

Seems to be hit or miss. No idea what caused the breaks either. No issues with bearings or rods that we could find prior to the break. Injectors also checked out on Bearings look perfect and cylinders looked good too I'm going to change out injectors and put a crank in it and go back with a single.

Speaking from an OEM side of things I will confirm broken cranks are hit or miss. They are the most over engineered component on a diesel, so it's likely to do with manufacturing or quality, which are generally significantly more strict on such a critical component.

That being said, it is uncommon for them break at such high mileage (would be interesting to see how it broke), as I generally see them as early fatigue failures.

Back