Anyone have an idea of what happened here.

In the picture where big papa has the arrow is a crack. i touched it and it moved inword toward the wheel. Fins are mangled on sides also like it rubbed on it where the crack is.

If this is the case, I’d say the housing failed and damaged the wheel or the wheel came apart and damaged the housing. Either way, the flying wheel pieces would then be the debris.

Last edited:
Well this was my thought. I am no expert on turbos but thats what my common sense was telling me also. This is why i posted to get other opinions. Im calling tate tomorrow so ill see what happens. It could have been caused by something else but i cleaned everything off and had a brand new filter put in. Its a bummer for sure

If this is the case, I’d say the housing failed and damaged the wheel or the wheel came apart and damaged the housing. Either way, the flying wheel pieces would then be the debris.

Failure analysis is all about finding the root cause of the problem. There is a remote possibility that there was an inclusion in the wheel casting the caused that missing piece to break off and crack the housing; I'd need about 3 seconds with an eye loupe to answer that for sure. But it's much more likely to be debris introduced into the intake, especially when you look at the damaged surrounding areas. Something was playing pinball in there for a while.

What condition was the turbo in that you removed to install this one? ie was the previous turbo popped or failed in any way?

Failure analysis is all about finding the root cause of the problem.

Well, why didn't you say you were in the turbo business? I'm not in the turbo business. I just didn't want to make a snap-judgement Failure Analysis that the OP was lying about running a filter. Seems to me if debris of any size had been "playing pinball in there for a while", there would be much more extensive damage and if the debris were smaller it would have gone on through without "playing pinball in there for a while".

Well, why didn't you say you were in the turbo business? I'm not in the turbo business. I just didn't want to make a snap-judgement Failure Analysis that the OP was lying about running a filter. Seems to me if debris of any size had been "playing pinball in there for a while", there would be much more extensive damage and if the debris were smaller it would have gone on through without "playing pinball in there for a while".

I know I'm going to regret bringing this to light because it never fails for it to cause people to get their panties in a twist for some reason, but I am a factory trained failure analyst from Caterpillar. Spent some time in Peoria for that one. I have literally studied and analyzed hundreds upon hundreds of failed turbos since then. I realize now I probably came across a little arrogant at first. I really didn't mean that, it's just something I've seen a zillion times so I'm pretty darn sure I know what I'm looking at, that's all. No, I am not a turbo expert; I just like looking at stuff that went boom! :hehe:

Foreign debris damage is very common and it always looks like this. If the cracked housing had made contact with the compressor enough to damage it I promise this would be a much uglier picture. Something had to make its way to the compressor wheel. The most common is pieces from a previously failed turbo being ingested back into the new turbo.

I am a factory trained failure analyst from Caterpillar....No, I am not a turbo expert; I just like looking at stuff that went boom! :hehe:

Excellent. Thanks for the explanation. I trust your judgement. I WAS being a bit of a smart asss. I assumed you were one of these keyboard experts and was not aware that you actually do know what you're talking about.

The most common is pieces from a previously failed turbo being ingested back into the new turbo.

I didn't think of this. You guys definitely know your stuff.

I know I'm going to regret bringing this to light because it never fails for it to cause people to get their panties in a twist for some reason, but I am a factory trained failure analyst from Caterpillar. Spent some time in Peoria for that one. I have literally studied and analyzed hundreds upon hundreds of failed turbos since then. I realize now I probably came across a little arrogant at first. I really didn't mean that, it's just something I've seen a zillion times so I'm pretty darn sure I know what I'm looking at, that's all. No, I am not a turbo expert; I just like looking at stuff that went boom! :hehe:
Haha saw this coming. I always wanted to go to the mother ship for this training.

Something to consider:

If you have a catastrophic failure of a turbocharger, is so far that it's can't impart force on the air charge any longer, then the pressurized air mass in your intake tract will blow the debris from the failure outward and into the tubing and filter media, and as mentioned by others, it can hide there.

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

Pulled several embedded slivers out of the intake boot from this one

Attachments

• 47E3D52A-2ECF-49E6-8319-609DB3CAFD3B.jpg
    47E3D52A-2ECF-49E6-8319-609DB3CAFD3B.jpg
    478.8 KB · Views: 0
Previous turbo was stock in fine working order. What is the best way to clean the foreign debri out so this dont happen to new turbo.

Previous turbo was stock in fine working order. What is the best way to clean the foreign debri out so this dont happen to new turbo.

Completely disassemble everything up stream and down. Leave no stone unturned.

Back