anyone sucked in pieces of the filter minder?

Scooter's Roofing

was looking at a truck earlier... guy was complaining about the turbo SCREAMNG really hard after a hard pull.

I'm like "well, the bearings are probably toast and the wheel is hitting the housing"

he said, "I pulled over and felt the bearigs, and they feel fine"

today he says "dude, I looked at it today in the light, the compressor fins are all chewed up!"

so I look at it, the turbo has obviously taken in some schrapnel. The bearings feel fine. I'm like "how's your filter look?"

we pop the lid off... drop in K&N in the stock 06 filter box. filter looks brand new.

I flip the lid over, no filter minder with evidence of muddy water getting through the hole...

look closer and in the gap between the MWE slot and the rest of the housing, there's some media crammed in there. Pulled it out, and it looks like a mix of yellow plastic and some fibrous media.

The ONLY thing I can come up with is it sucked he filter minder apart and pulled in some of that yellow plastic and maybe some other portion of it.

I've had mine suck down to the point that it was making a warbling noise, but has anyone ever heard of one actually sucking it apart?!?! :confused:

No but geez how much air was he trying to suck through that thing.

crazy thing is it's just a stock 06 running a CL 2.4D tune! I don't know if it shuts off the wastegate or what :confused:

I don't know if it actually sucked the thing to pieces or what, but there's only a small hole for stuff to come through, and it seems awfully coincidental that the media wedged into the turbo is yellow plastic and there's yellow plastic in the filter minder!

Forrest by any chance was that you and a buddy rolling down hwy 6 this past friday around 2pm passing up the Santa Fe HS?

I was thinkin that haha. I seen yall pass up McDonalds and was like man that looks like a dudes truck off compd and thought id play around with yall but you were haulin a$$. LOL

I tried to whistle that VNT turbo atcha when I passed Mickey D's when I saw your window down :p

I was giving Mikey a hard time because he was on stock software, so I was rubbing it in on him LOL He begged me to let load the Bully Dog on his truck when we got back to alvin

oh, and I've got a V1 radar detector, so next time tuck in behind, and I'll run blocker :cool:

Haha i see you around prolly everytime i come down there. LOL ill make sure and do that next time.

If you have a way to down load to your phone. Get the Trapster application.

my filter minder has a maybe .030 hole in the center of the 1/8" NPT part of it. i dont think anything can get through it that would damage the turbo.

well, there's no filter minder on the box... so who knows what happened, but I have no idea where else yellow plastic could have come from

sd530942.jpg

not that it helps now, but thats what i got, its off a kenworth dump truck, but the filter minder has a GM part number. I dont know if the brass elbow with the .030 hole is part of the minder or the truck, or neither.

Back