Atlas or 271?

What is a "true U joint yoke"?

Yes Dan it is for sale. Depending on what the buyer needs (auto or manual), I will have to put an input shaft in it... I had to borrow the one that was in it...

PM me if you are interested in it...

lol...dont know the exact terminology.

I want to eliminate the slip yoke. I don't really want a "hack and tap" eliminator.

Check out the pic. The top shows the mainshaft out of a t-case with a flange on the rear (slips onto splines, bolted in place), the bottom is a normal 271 with a slip yoke style connection. The last pic is what the flanged output looks like... (which I think is what you meant by a true u-joint yoke)

DSC01356.jpg

DSC08615-1-1.jpg

if you look at it from the engineer stand point in the teeth of the flanged vs the slip yoke the pressure is distributed along the entire tooth of the gear on the slip yoke where as the tooth on the flange gear is much shorter. your talking about 2-3 times the force being applied to the tooth of the flange output.

I think the slip joint looks stronger also, plus you don't have a bolt drilled in the center.

I think the slip joint looks stronger also, plus you don't have a bolt drilled in the center.

this is another good point. that bolt looks to be almost half the size of the out put shaft. i'm wondering how far that is tapped into the shaft.

It's a nut on the end, the shaft is turned down to create the threads...

I don't remember the size off hand, but that shaft is huge... (over 2" I think?) Heck the rear pinion yoke has splines about that long to hold the yoke on. No one twists the splines off, the yoke goes first...

After looking at the Atlas parts, the 271 is MUCH bigger...

I dont think the Atlas will hold up

Why bother with and atlas when a profab is 1800? if your going with a non stock drivetrain you may as well go big.

I wouldn't use a 205 at all unless the truck is stock. Not many companies build billet out put shafts for them that I know of. I have heard of billet ones being made for them but they are made to order and that won't do you much good if you need one now. I have friends pulling pro mod gassers and they quit using the 205's for this reason. They all run pro fabs now. I think the 271 would be the best option here due to rules for pulling associations and the strength of the 271 vs. the 205.

Back