Axle swap help

dodge359

I am swaping a 4x4 front end into 2wd that has a solid front axle. All the measurements are the same so it will just be like swapping for the same axle. My question is: After I unbolt the track arms, steering, shocks, brakes and everything else does the frame just lift off of the coil springs?

Figured I might make a clamp to hold them together so it wouldnt pop out and shine an eye.

I've only done this about 10 times in the last 6 months as I swapped out a 4wd for a 2wd. Just jack up the front of the truck and then set it down on jack stands supporting the frame behind the front axle. The axle will then lower far enough to pull the coils out. I pulled the arms with axle and swapped them into other axle before sliding back under and reattaching. Pretty easy job.

Should I use the arms off of the 4x4 or the ones that are already there? Does it make a difference? Are the coil springs different from the 1ton 2wd and the 3/4ton 4wd?

Does the wires that run the 4x4 light that come out of the actuator break the ground or hot side of the circuit?

I am also trying to find the mechanical alternative to the vacuum switch. I looked at the POSI LOKs and they are nice but spendy.

Finally got around to getting the axle out. The only problem was the bolts on the top trailing arm at the frame end. They did not want to come out but I had a 5 pound sledge that talked them into it.

Thanks duk1n. Never did hear which trailing arms to run, guess it doesnt matter.

They are the same arms so you can run either. Can't help you with the 4x4 light. Mine was the FT dana60 and 4x4 light was back on t-case.

Think there is any difference in the coil springs from a 98 3/4 ton 4wd to a 97 1 ton 2wd?

There were several different springs available but I doubt you could tell the difference. Might have a slightly different ride height and load carrying capacity. They are so easy to swap in and out I would just set it down with both and see which you like the looks of better. Leave the shocks off until you have nailed it. I have a set of 38/39s as well as some custom units with 1 3/4 drop if you want to lower it. My 2" drops are working great.

Might not matter. I have been looking ar running air bags of some sort front and back. That should cure my "rides like a brick" problem and also give me leveling capabilities no matter what I have on the back.

Started swapping tonight. Got ill in there and the dually adapters wont fit over the shoulder on the 4wd hubs. I am gonna pull the hub assemblies off and swap them tomorrow. Hopefully they are the same spline.

2 wd axle out

I ended up using the 3/4 ton springs as they are thicker and it rides about 2' prouder now.

Back