bad injectors 97 f250

bsdracing

I have a bad injector in one of my trucks and would like to know if there is any way to see what injector is bad without having a scanner or pulling them all and having them tested? after it warms up it does have a little fuel knock and was thinking maybe I could pull valve covers and pin point it? just need it running asap I do want to just buy a set of used AA injectors and be done but no one has got back to me.:poke:

I hate to be the one to give you the bad news but the only true way to check which injector is giving you trouble is to plug into a scanner. The powerstroke uses what's called a HEUI (hydraulic electronic unit injector) system. They're pressurized by an oil pump and fired electronically so a injector shutdown test is really the only correct way to tell. Removing them one at a time may or may not tell you anything. I've seen some injectors come out of engines covered in soot and carbon buildup but they fired perfectly. Most places will charge an hours labor to plug in which sucks but if you know how to do the work yourself, that would be the best way to go.:bang

thanks for the reply I understand the powerstroke and have built them before but I will pull them of put some split shots and write some programs for it if I dont get any single shots soon.

I have a set of 150 cc baby swamps for sale 750.00 pluse your cores.+ shipping

I'm not looking to spend quite that much more like $500 and under for good used set

Sorry about the extravigant reply to your initial question, I didn't realize that you've torn into these engines before, lol. I get a little excited about engines sometimes.:doh:

P.S.-I'm a motocrosser as well!

lol no problem yeah I did the bookoo and national arenacross series and am trying to get back into it.

Just healed up from a lower spinal injury; kinda enjoying not being sore for a little bit. Sure wish they had arenacross down in FL.

I've never used a scanner to find injector issues, always have used a Raytech on the exhaust manifolds to find the dead one. In fact, I just diagnosed a '95 today at the shot that has 2 dead cylinders, #4 and #6. New UVC harnesses and plugs going on tomorrow, and if that doesn't fix it, compression test and possible injector work. I have found it works best to wedge a hood prop rod between the seat and skinny pedal to get it up to about 1500 rpm. Then aim your laser on the manifolds directly between the manifold bolts on each ports. It will be pretty obvious what cylinders are having issues. On the engine I did, every other cylinder was between 165-175 degrees and #4 and #6 were about 70-80 degrees. And I pulled the valve covers and it has a different injector in #6 than the other 7 cylinders. Uhhh ohhh. These auction "buys" haven't been panning out too good lately!

But ya, Raytech works like a champ, I find I use it on a lot of things lately.

I have a box that you attach and then you can shut off each individule cyinder to find the one non contributing one.

Back