• Yes

Votes: 48 94.1%
  • No

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters

97' CTD

FeFiFo-FoFeFeFi
-12V 5300-4800RPM operating range.

-To Balance, Not to balance this is the question Yes/No, I know their are other things needed to spin this high but this is just ment to focus directly to the above question.
Brandon

I assume your going to have the mtr. apart anyway it's a little extra insurance in my eyes. I say yes.

For what little bit it cost and how badly balanced my motor was I'm glad I did it.

If you think you are going to launch at 48-53k rpms and not maintain these rpms down the track then you can get away with not balancing.....If you are going to maintain said rpms then yes balance it. Lots of things don;t like sustained high rpm.

What size turbo are you running? If you don;t mind me asking

IKE

There is no question in my mind on this one. Balance the d@mn thing. It is cheap insurance and there is irregularities in even the best of parts. a few grams here or there can make a difference. I know the internals are strong enough to handle a slight imbalance, but a smoother (better balanced) engine will make more HP. $.02

oem balanace is +/- ~20grams perfesional balanace is +/- 2 grams or less.

you will gain HP just from the balanceing allone

I would balance it also. Are you going to add weight to the crank by welding real think plate at all the throws?

If you think you are going to launch at 48-53k rpms and not maintain these rpms down the track then you can get away with not balancing.....If you are going to maintain said rpms then yes balance it. Lots of things don;t like sustained high rpm.

What size turbo are you running? If you don;t mind me asking

IKE

Ya what this man says he knows everything.

Sorry I couldn't resist. HAHAHAHA

balancing

if you have it apart that far have it balanced!!! if you want to do it right have the bottom girdled and the torque plate on the deck then line bore the mains/cam and then the cylinders. while it is all tied together.
the shop i used took extreme care on the balance job to the point making sure each componet was as close to the next even before it was spun.
rod bolts, balancer bolts, flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts, grind and weigh as close to the same as possible.
then the rod/piston/pin/ring assembley equal weights. then take assembly weights and have the crank spun. my flywheel and pressure was also included in the mix.
all total i think i had close to $1000 in the whole process of weighing the parts/grinding/ flywheel and pressure plate balancing and crank balancing.

if you want i can send you his way he has many many years of experience in building and machining built a few nice pieces for my dad in the good ol'days and he is local to us if you want to im me.

Better to spend the extra money on getting it balance rather than spending the extra money to have to put it back to gether after it comes appart from not being balanced.

Back