Battery(S)

Mudn_1

Sweet Home
What are you guys that dont run an Alternator do as far as Battery(s)? I have single optima Deep Cycle currently, but I dont believe its enough and its a stress the whole time trying to make rounds and charge....

We are Running a Lift pump, Datalogger, Engine and Trans Fans, Water pump and Trans Control.

Just looking to get some ideas on possible routes to take...

I realize I am going to have to charge at the track, but I would like to be able to start, stop in the staging lanes as well as make a few passes without worry.

I run an X2Power battery. It's a Northstar that's branded for Batteries Plus. 5 year full replacement warranty.

Last edited:
There is no comparison. XS Power and the Northstar/X2 Power are top of the food chain with AGM stuff right now. Optima blows.

There is no comparison. XS Power and the Northstar/X2 Power are top of the food chain with AGM stuff right now. Optima blows.

I've got to agree!

Had one hooked to a charger testing it's ability to hold one time and it would fall off to 10 then back to 12 and outta nowhere be at over 13 then back to 11. Thought it was the charger, but threw the other on and it was spot on

Not the same use as you, but I've had a single Odyssey battery in my truck for about 8-1/2 yrs now. Think is starting to get tired though, didn't seem very strong this past winter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

We also felt the optima wasn't up to snuff with Bodacious once we removed the alternator. I had debated throwing another battery on for start only and letting the original battery handle everything else.

I'm interested to know as well. I know you can get lithium in an XS power.

Age of the battery has a lot to do with the reserve capacity, which is how long the battery will able to maintain above 10.5v without a charging system....Looks like a yellow top Optima group 31 has the best reserve capacity at 155 min, but I believe that's only at 25 amps, so yours would probably drain a lot faster....you could also go with a 16 volt as long as your accessories will take the added voltage.

I had two of the smaller optima yellow tops, about two runs and started to need a charge. I replaced with two smaller deep cycle marine Batts and you can run probably all day at the track. They also charge up quick compared to the gell cells.

Back