Bed mounted trans coolers

Seems that you've got this handled already, but just to add some more info to the thread...
Two Derale Atomic-Cool (P/N 15850, 22000BTU EA.) coolers are right on the edge of tolerable with an unloaded 2nd gen (my 02) in stop and go Houston traffic on a typical august day.

Truck is 7430lbs with 1/4 tank of fuel, 3.54 gears, 265/75-16 tires, slightly tighter than stock T/C, all factory trans coolers removed and the above mentioned Derales mounted horizontally under the front right of stock bed about 3" from the bed floor.

A single Derale 65860 (120000BTU) replaced the above setup, and has yet to let me down while doing all the things one would typically expect of a 1 ton pickup.

Excellent info thank you. The 65860 is what I have. Good to hear from someone using the exact same setup. Do you see any need to wire the fan on a tstat or does it run seldom enough that a switch is fine?

Last edited:
Derale 35021 is what I used for a fan thermostat.
Derale says the switch is good for 15 amps (fan draws about 10A), but I added a relay to get the load off of the thermostat contacts and to avoid over loading the ignition switch circuit I tapped into.

Relay link

Diode link

Attachments

• DC-Motor-Power-Supplies-and-Diode.jpg
    DC-Motor-Power-Supplies-and-Diode.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 0
Well I tried Firepunks mounts and just couldn’t make it work under the bed. This cooler is a big one. Got it in the bed and realized all the hoses and AN fittings were Chinese shit so I bought 20’ of hose and Earls fittings. Got a thermostat and relay coming to cut the fan on automatically at 180°. Having some small problems with sending unit figment for the gauge and have played hell getting the right fitting to eliminate the cooler under the turbo, but it’s close.

Driveshaft being redone currently and then I’m off to SC to trade my 4.10 rear for a 3.55 unit. Then I’ll be headed to Ohio to get a dash from Mr Meyers here. Exciting times haha.

Back