Bent push rod!

Blackbumper

Could be worse!
Go the motor pulled out today and started to strip it down after pulling off all the valve covers I found the #6 intake push rod bent into an s shape ouch! Took a pair a vice grips and some choice words but was able to get it out. This motor sat for some time before I got it I'm guessing at least 6 months if not more and we were never able to get it running smooth so I just pulled the motor to go thru everything. And if it was a the rocker out of adjustment could it do that much damage this thing was about a half inch shorter?

Make sure you check the lifter shoulder to see if it broke the side off. I have seen that before on a miss adjusted valve or a over speed condition. Your pushtube should be your fuse.

Last edited:
Smokem said:
4K RPM with stock 30psi springs will do that, been there. I second checking the lifter cup to make sure it isn't damaged.

Yea those are fun to fish out of the gallery and pan.......had to do that on cam breakage stunt I pulled last year.

Jim

Well I got the head pulled off and have some bigger issues it looks like the previous owner had some different injectors in that didn't have the correct spray pattern and created some melt down on the pistons. Most of the damage is contained around the bowl area but #3 has some meltdown all the way to the cylinder wall. No damage to the walls so it looks like new pistons will be in order. Any feedback on the Mahle piston? Any other suggestions as I will be replaceing them anyway? Thanks

Back