big single clutch question

im gonna have to hear a truck with a dd ratle. i cant stand to drive a truck that doesnt sound or feel "tight" every little dash rattle or squeak i always have to fix i dont know if i could handle a rattling clutch. uess id have to hear one to see what it sounds like.

it kinda sounds like a bad throw out bearing but my triple is twice as quiet as my dd was and twice as smooth espically when the pedal is depressed no more sore leg from stiff clutch,its easier than my dads stock single disc

thanks for the replies, i think i am leaning towards a triple disc just gota figure out which one.

im gonna have to hear a truck with a dd ratle. i cant stand to drive a truck that doesnt sound or feel "tight" every little dash rattle or squeak i always have to fix i dont know if i could handle a rattling clutch. uess id have to hear one to see what it sounds like.

if you are worried about the rattle just get a dual disk with a sprung hub, i just installed one the other day, didn't make hardly any noise, and it was in a G56 which is notorious for being loud in stock form, i did away with the dual mass flywheel and installed a south bend 3250 DD. shifts about like stock with the southbend extreme duty hydrolics. you wouldn't be disappointed.

the pros to going with a DD is it makes towing much nicer. single disks tend to buck hard when backing up and even worse if you have a loaded trailer hooked up. the dual disk will be much smoother for daily driving and towing. cons would be the price, but i tend to believe you get what you pay for. going the cheap route usually results in doing it again not to far down the road, especially with diesel performance.

The only things I dont like about my DD is the vibration in 5th gear(g56) and it doesn't like to go in gear very easy.

If you make any power at all and especially if you tow or sled pull, DD is the only way to go. I have several buddies with no more than 450hp that have spun the centers out on there stout singles.

I have a 3250 SB DD with 6 button discs and it shifts and feels like a stock clutch. Pedal is no stiffer than stock. Not grabby like a stout single. But it holds 500+ hp 3rd gear 20lb boosted launches like a champ.

The only things I dont like about my DD is the vibration in 5th gear(g56) and it doesn't like to go in gear very easy.

If you make any power at all and especially if you tow or sled pull, DD is the only way to go. I have several buddies with no more than 450hp that have spun the centers out on there stout singles.

I have a 3250 SB DD with 6 button discs and it shifts and feels like a stock clutch. Pedal is no stiffer than stock. Not grabby like a stout single. But it holds 500+ hp 3rd gear 20lb boosted launches like a champ.

ya 5th gear is annoying. only because it is direct. so your getting all of the vibration from the engine and the transmission through a direct straight shaft. all the other gears will be fine.

so with this 5th gear vibration is it bad enough to be anoying enough not to go on long trips? i go out of town a lot in my truck, like 1500 mie trips a couple times a year, would that vibration be to anoying to deal with?

It would be 4th gear in your 5 speed. Its not that bad usually. Every now and then it gets pretty annoying though. Thats just me though. Rattles and squeaks and vibrations annoy the crap out of me.

ok i see, 4th wouldnt bother me too much, im not in 4th a whole lot and on long trips im always in 5th. Mabey its just a 6speed thing!!! hopefully anyways, i am gonna be buying the 3250dd from sb and hope it doesnt vibrate to bad. cant wait to be able to try a boosted 3rd gear launch and see if i snap a u-joint or somthin, hopefully everythin else in my tranny and t-case hold up.

Do you have a fluid damper? I put one on a few months after I put a 3600 unsprung DD in my dually, made a huge difference with the 4th gear vibes. I put one on after I put a 3250 sprung DD in my 12v. It helped, but not near as much as it did on the unsprung clutch. A year later, either there are no vibes, or I don't notice them anymore. When I first installed the 3250 clutch, you could really feel them. I was surprised how much vibrations there were with the sprung hub.

Do you have a fluid damper? I put one on a few months after I put a 3600 unsprung DD in my dually, made a huge difference with the 4th gear vibes. I put one on after I put a 3250 sprung DD in my 12v. It helped, but not near as much as it did on the unsprung clutch. A year later, either there are no vibes, or I don't notice them anymore. When I first installed the 3250 clutch, you could really feel them. I was surprised how much vibrations there were with the sprung hub.

Nope not yet, but I plan on getting one for each of my trucks. When I was up at SDX last August, I ran across the Fluidamper booth and seen all the vibration tests they had done on them and looked at all the charts. After that I was kinda sold on them.

That issue will be gone anyway in about a week as I just ordered me a light single for it. I detuned my truck to near stock here a while back so I dont need a DD anymore.

Back