Billet freeze plugs/bypass

I got to it from underneath. All the firewall soundproofing crap is gone so I had plenty of room to chase the threads and bolt in the plug. Getting a plug out could be a challenge, I didn't have that problem though. Skipped the bypass, cause all 4 vehicles I have are broken as of this morning, and this will do for now.

Attachments

• 20210123_104246.jpg
    20210123_104246.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210123_111804.jpg
    20210123_111804.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 0
Ever come across a thread, read it, and think "Is this a sign that maybe I should be installing billet plugs in my motors before I'm stuck on the side of the road?" ....I'm getting that feeling right now.

I don't beat on my trucks, but I do drive spiritedly and "aggressively tow". I rarely rev over 3200rpm, which I thought would keep me safe from freeze plug failure, but now I'm not so sure.

Glad I read this thread, never knew about trimming impellers or anything of that until today. Are the major plugs to replace the 3 on the side, one rear, and one behind the fan mount?

Last edited:
Well I got bit again. This time it was the rear-most side plug. Hit something slippery in 3rd gear taking off from a stop light and hit 4k and heard it pop. Wondering it it would be worth trimming the water pump, as I still tow with it but like to have fun sometimes. Got 4 more billet plugs coming either way.. .

I have a trimmed pump on both of mine. Hauled 20k in 90 degree weather and had no issues staying cool as long as your fan clutch is working.

Back