blend door in the dash for a/c

syrupdawg

GA Diesel Mafia
I think the blend door in my dash is broke. I talked to my dealer about fixing it and they said you have to pull the dash out to fix a $2 door. Is there any way to do it from under the dash? They also said there is more than one. I can turn the fan wide open and it will blow out the dash a little but not like it should. It still blows hard as hell out of the feet setting though

Last edited:
This exact same thing happened to my dads '06 half ton. He asked the shop we usually go to and they said they don't even mess with them. The dealer is the only one that will do the job, at the tune of $750!

He went all winter without the defrosters working and got by. I was considering buying a Haynes manual and tearing into it but as meticulous as my dad is and the little bit of time I have I probably won't do it.

This exact same thing happened to my dads '06 half ton. He asked the shop we usually go to and they said they don't even mess with them. The dealer is the only one that will do the job, at the tune of $750!

He went all winter without the defrosters working and got by. I was considering buying a Haynes manual and tearing into it but as meticulous as my dad is and the little bit of time I have I probably won't do it.

Yea my dealer quoted $600

its a job! have to pull the hole dash out! kind of like the heater core on a ford....

Mine has been acting up for 5 years! If I keep switching it, it will eventually go to what setting you want it on but some times you have to do it like 500 times lol. I don't even use the A/C anymore because it blows cold out the driver side and warm out the passenger side vents. It always stays on the vent setting and to get it to switch to the defrost or the floor is almost impossible. I guess I some what put up with it because I would rather spend money on fun parts instead. (I fixed the blend doors by buying an 08 cummins LOL)

I charge $400 at my shop for this process. Takes about 6hours start to finish.

Someone told me it was only like 4 screws that hold it in( which technically is true) then I started chasing screws pulling stuff apart and said f it. Just threw it in the back seat for the guy that bought the bus...

Ive had plenty of the 3rd gen dashes out for these door fixes and we do them in just a few hours now. I also keep one of each door and one motor on hand just for this reason. The damn things have plastic ends on the doors the motor engages into and they snap off easily. Stupid engineering to say the least.

Check out Heater Treater. They make some metal doors and I think they show a good write up on replacement. My truck needs done too but I might have it sold the way it sits!

for sure dodge does know this is a design flaw my 06 blend door tab broke my truck was a year out of warranty.my dealer Tommy Bucannon at Bucannon & Young in Burnsville NC said he would call dodge to see if they would fix it also gave me the corperate number.I told them it was a known flaw and should be a recall fix.guy calls back latter that day and said take it in at no charge.cant say this will help but contact your dealer if you bought new see what they will do.ya never know till you try.yep it helps to have a good dealer.this guy latter sold me a new 2011 big horn dually list for 52K i got it for 40 tax ,tag out the door.

for sure dodge does know this is a design flaw my 06 blend door tab broke my truck was a year out of warranty.my dealer Tommy Bucannon at Bucannon & Young in Burnsville NC said he would call dodge to see if they would fix it also gave me the corperate number.I told them it was a known flaw and should be a recall fix.guy calls back latter that day and said take it in at no charge.cant say this will help but contact your dealer if you bought new see what they will do.ya never know till you try.yep it helps to have a good dealer.this guy latter sold me a new 2011 big horn dually list for 52K i got it for 40 tax ,tag out the door.

See still expencive to go to the dealer:hehe:

If I remember I'll take some pictures after while of the bolts that need to be taken out to pull the dash. Can be done in about 30min-1hr then replace the door then put it all back. A LOT easier than it sounds and looks.

Yup. My 06 is the same problem. I need to get mine fixed soon before summer really gears up.

I personally have not changed one, but know several that have. It most definitely is a several hour process, especially if you have not done one before.

Check out Heater Treater. They make some metal doors and I think they show a good write up on replacement. My truck needs done too but I might have it sold the way it sits!

This. Bought a kit for my dad's '06. The one that broke on his was the recirc. door. It wasn't too bad tearing into it. The one that would require the most work is the one that controls the flow to the floor vents. You're required to cut out some of the dash framework. Of course, not that big of a deal with a small hack saw of cut off wheel, bending some of it out of the way then maybe a small tack weld to hold it together after you bend it back in place. Hopefully you don't have to do that one!

Last edited:
My 03 has the same issue its got a broken door somewhere. The fan blows like crazy but nothing will come out of the dash

My 03 has the same issue its got a broken door somewhere. The fan blows like crazy but nothing will come out of the dash

Yours could also be the recirc door. Same symptoms on my dad's. The door fell off and landed directly above the blower motor, blocking all flow.

Mine will blow cold on drivers side and warm on passenger. And has a rattle that will drive you crazy.

Back