Block Filler

Bodacious

Comp Diesel Sponsor
I'm looking for a block filler that is equal or lighter weight than water.

I know back in my College days the Civil folks built a canoe out of concrete that was super lite.

Found some time to dig a little deeper on this subject.

Found this http://www.grainger.com/product/DEVCON-Pourable-Epoxy-5A457

Water is roughly 8.33 lbs/ gallon. This stuff works out to 13.19 lbs/ gallon

I read through all the info google had on the epoxy. One fella said the epoxy wasn't quite as 'pourable' as you might think and he was looking for a way to thin it down.

The moroso stuff has mostly bad reviews and is concrete or 19.8 lbs/gal

I e-mailed the hardblok folks about the specific gravity. I got a nice reply but no specific gravity. They claim it works well in aluminum blocks, but also tout identical thermal expansion to cast iron. It has cast iron particles so I'd guess it is at least as heavy as the moroso stuff 19.8 lbs/gallon.

I'll probably have to wait till next week to call but a few folks our claiming a company called 'Riolo Racing Engines' has their own aluminum block filler concoction. I'll see if I can get a weight from them.

By the way, aluminum is roughly 22.5 lbs/gallon.

Try checking with a marine supplier for epoxies and fillers. I've used silica micosphreres as a lightweight filler for epoxy. Works pretty good. A good supplier will also have powdered aluminum, carbon and etc to use.

I still remember one of my neighbors building a huge Ferro-cement sailboat in his backyard, then couldn't get it out. Still sitting there when I moved away.

From what I have heard, most people fill their blocks when building an engine. Block fill distorts the block and requires machine work to true up the block.

most people fill their blocks when building an engine. Block fill distorts the block and requires machine work to true up the block

I have read the same. We intend to check the roundness of the bores before filling and hope they do not distort enough that a good hone won't bring 'em back.

Unfortunately, the aluminum BMW engine is somewhat exotic here in the USA and I have been unable to locate a 'torque plate' to use while honing.

I'm pretty sure we are just gonna get a piece of 3/4" steel machined flat and bolt it to the block deck while filling and setting.

I have not had the chance to call out to Cali and talk with the Riolo bunch.

The only thing that would concern me is the material not having the same thermal properties as the block. Heat cycles and expansion/contraction under load could possibly distort the cylinders or not properly support the cylinders.

OK, finally got round to contacting the Riolo folks. Talked with Dave and he was very helpful with my endeavor.

He has his own 'secret' concoction to fill aluminum blocks. He put me on to muriatic acid to clean the block first.

His product weighs 10 lbs/gallon. Looks like I found a winner!!!!!

We have a two part epoxy that's used to repair defects in pipelines in conjunction with a fiberglass wrap. Stuff sets up hard hard, and I don't believe weighs much more than water. Wonder how it would work.

Wonder how it would work.

Not sure. My guess is the clock spring epoxy is not rated for the temps. Definitely some strong stuff. We repaired pit holes with them on some of our 1000psi transmission system.

Watching for a later date. How much does a partial fill kill cooling capacity? Only wanted to get from A-B not load ect

Back