Blown head gasket myths / fix

CUMMINSTD

New Ride, Poor Wallet :/
I am basing this off of 2010-2012 trucks with H&S Mini Maxx or XRT Pro. I absolutely love my H&S tuner and would reccomend this setup to anyone.

So i purchased my 6.7 and was terrified of all the Head Gasket problems I have heard about these trucks having. The most common thing i hear is that the VGT turbo is just too resctrictive with a tuner. Next most thing is that you need studs , but still risky with stock turbo and a tuner. Coming from a 680rwhp 5.9 common rail with a ported he351 twin setup, that seems awefully odd to me for a VGT to be the problem. I wasnt going to settle for having to swap all this stuff out (turbo, stugs, etc.) just to be able to run a tune, so I started digging for some info. Here is what I have come up with and couldnt be happier with what i run now.

First, Turbo-- The VGT turbo is in fact a large part of the problem, but its not restrictive because of the turbo itself. Its restrictive because the factory turbo maps do not allow the vanes to open near the amount it is capable of, thus creating extremely high drive pressures when more fuel is added. With the standard box tunes in H&S, the turbo maping is close to stock, so with all the extra fuel you have, the exhaust is still trying to escape through a turbo with mostly closed vanes.
High drive pressures=raised cylinder pressures, Too much cylinder pressure=blown head gaskets

Second, Head Studs-- Everyone knows that head studs are needed when you really start having a lot of bolt on parts. But, you shouldnt need head studs with stock fuel, stock parts, and a tuner. Problem here is again with H&S box tunes. Timing is the key problem here. H&S set the timing ok for a stock truck tune, is what they didnt do was change the pre injection timing. This fuel sprays before the main event, but because this timing wasnt retarded when the main event was advanced, this creates an extremely advanced per injection event wich is too muck timing. This is where more head gasket problems come into play.
timing=cylinder pressure, Too much cylinder pressure=blown head gaskets

Last thing is to make sure your truck is up to operating temp before you really romp on it. As the motor is heating up, the componets are heating at different rates. When you have parts that arent heated completely and start creating a load on the engine, they can become distorted during the process and pop a gasket.

So the main fix for this up front on a stock truck with an H&S Mini Maxx is this...
MCC TUNING!!!
I have used Tom with Anarchy Diesel and reccomend him to everyone i know. Reasons being, 1: Superb customer service, if you have a question or problem at any time, he is there and willing to help in any way he can. 2: He only tunes 3 years of trucks, 2010-2012 Dodge 6.7. So this means his focus is only in this area and is nearly perfected. 3: He drives with his tunes on his personal truck and has had a lot of tuning experience with them. He has monitered drive pressures, rail presures, boost pressures, trans longevity, trans operation and really understands the operation of the tuning to be able to give us the best possible tunes for our trucks. He also takes what mods you have and builds tunes around what your needs are resulting in custom tunes that is specific to you and your vehicle.

Me personally, I have ran a combination of his tunes, I currently run a max effort tune wich goes somewhere in the ballpark of a 190-200hp tune(depending on your cp3) on a daily basis. I tow 15,000lbs with it on performance, drive it every day, and beat on it pretty good. My transmission is the only thing i gave a concern with because this tune creates enough hp to hurt the tranny if you do not watch how you drive it.

Comparing Toms tunes to H&S box tunes are hands down 100% better. Drivability is much better, transmission shift points are improved, 2nd & 3rd gear TQ lockup in tow haul, higher overall hp (can really feel it in the seat) and a dramatic decrease in EGTs. I was getting over 1500 with H&S box tunes, now with more hp, i only see 1300-1350

For a good setup, on a stock/close to stock truck this is my recconemdation
2010-2012 6.7 Dodge
H&S Mini Maxx Race Tuner
Tom at Anarchy Custom MCC Tuning
H&S Overdrive Tune 68rfe only
H&S Egt Probe
Sinister Egr Delete
Exhaust/DPF delete
Aftermarker air filter or Intake
T&C Diesel Pressure Relief Valve

I am basing this off of 2010-2012 trucks with H&S Mini Maxx or XRT Pro. I absolutely love my H&S tuner and would reccomend this setup to anyone.

So i purchased my 6.7 and was terrified of all the Head Gasket problems I have heard about these trucks having. The most common thing i hear is that the VGT turbo is just too resctrictive with a tuner. Next most thing is that you need studs , but still risky with stock turbo and a tuner. Coming from a 680rwhp 5.9 common rail with a ported he351 twin setup, that seems awefully odd to me for a VGT to be the problem. I wasnt going to settle for having to swap all this stuff out (turbo, stugs, etc.) just to be able to run a tune, so I started digging for some info. Here is what I have come up with and couldnt be happier with what i run now.

First, Turbo-- The VGT turbo is in fact a large part of the problem, but its not restrictive because of the turbo itself. Its restrictive because the factory turbo maps do not allow the vanes to open near the amount it is capable of, thus creating extremely high drive pressures when more fuel is added. With the standard box tunes in H&S, the turbo maping is close to stock, so with all the extra fuel you have, the exhaust is still trying to escape through a turbo with mostly closed vanes.
High drive pressures=raised cylinder pressures, Too much cylinder pressure=blown head gaskets

Second, Head Studs-- Everyone knows that head studs are needed when you really start having a lot of bolt on parts. But, you shouldnt need head studs with stock fuel, stock parts, and a tuner. Problem here is again with H&S box tunes. Timing is the key problem here. H&S set the timing ok for a stock truck tune, is what they didnt do was change the pre injection timing. This fuel sprays before the main event, but because this timing wasnt retarded when the main event was advanced, this creates an extremely advanced per injection event wich is too muck timing. This is where more head gasket problems come into play.
timing=cylinder pressure, Too much cylinder pressure=blown head gaskets

Last thing is to make sure your truck is up to operating temp before you really romp on it. As the motor is heating up, the componets are heating at different rates. When you have parts that arent heated completely and start creating a load on the engine, they can become distorted during the process and pop a gasket.

So the main fix for this up front on a stock truck with an H&S Mini Maxx is this...
MCC TUNING!!!
I have used Tom with Anarchy Diesel and reccomend him to everyone i know. Reasons being, 1: Superb customer service, if you have a question or problem at any time, he is there and willing to help in any way he can. 2: He only tunes 3 years of trucks, 2010-2012 Dodge 6.7. So this means his focus is only in this area and is nearly perfected. 3: He drives with his tunes on his personal truck and has had a lot of tuning experience with them. He has monitered drive pressures, rail presures, boost pressures, trans longevity, trans operation and really understands the operation of the tuning to be able to give us the best possible tunes for our trucks. He also takes what mods you have and builds tunes around what your needs are resulting in custom tunes that is specific to you and your vehicle.

Me personally, I have ran a combination of his tunes, I currently run a max effort tune wich goes somewhere in the ballpark of a 190-200hp tune(depending on your cp3) on a daily basis. I tow 15,000lbs with it on performance, drive it every day, and beat on it pretty good. My transmission is the only thing i gave a concern with because this tune creates enough hp to hurt the tranny if you do not watch how you drive it.

Comparing Toms tunes to H&S box tunes are hands down 100% better. Drivability is much better, transmission shift points are improved, 2nd & 3rd gear TQ lockup in tow haul, higher overall hp (can really feel it in the seat) and a dramatic decrease in EGTs. I was getting over 1500 with H&S box tunes, now with more hp, i only see 1300-1350

For a good setup, on a stock/close to stock truck this is my recconemdation
2010-2012 6.7 Dodge
H&S Mini Maxx Race Tuner
Tom at Anarchy Custom MCC Tuning
H&S Overdrive Tune 68rfe only
H&S Egt Probe
Sinister Egr Delete
Exhaust/DPF delete
Aftermarker air filter or Intake
T&C Diesel Pressure Relief Valve

I will dissagree with you over the backpressure. It does not blow headgaskets and does not contribute to high cylinder pressures. All headgasket problems in these trucks are from timing. Back pressure is what 60-80psi wot on the biggest power tune? Small amount compared to the couple thousand psi in the cylinder during combustion. All headgasket failures I have seen are at light load high timing with back pressure and boost pressure still at a 1:1 ratio.

Yeah I'm in the timing kills gaskets camp as well but that said you simply can't ignore back pressure. HP for HP the engine with significantly more back pressure must be dealing with a higher cylinder pressure due to residual heat and pressure.

Yeah I'm in the timing kills gaskets camp as well but that said you simply can't ignore back pressure. HP for HP the engine with significantly more back pressure must be dealing with a higher cylinder pressure due to residual heat and pressure.

Exactly, yes timing is the leading cause, timing leads to cylinder pressures, but when the exhaust gasses have no where to go (high drive pressures for example ) the cylinder then recompresses the leftover pressure therefor causing higher cylinder pressures. And contributing to blown head gaskets

Very true, but this intake event is letting in cooler fresh air, not hot exhast air. It's not just the pressure that pops gaskets, but the excessive heat that the high drive pressures hold in the head.

It seems like this topic has been beaten to death in at least 4 threads.:nail:

High drive pressure should kill hp which will lower cylinder pressure. I always think of high drive pressure as an egr valve always open. The exhaust that stays behind is uncombustable and displacing cylinder volume that could be used by fresh burnable air.

The annoyance with my H&S box tunes is the injector rattle at light throttle, especially when it is cold. Timing I believe is the culprit here as well. So these MCC tunes are just loaded onto the memory card and put in a normal MiniMaxx and loaded?

High drive pressure should kill hp which will lower cylinder pressure. I always think of high drive pressure as an egr valve always open. The exhaust that stays behind is uncombustable and displacing cylinder volume that could be used by fresh burnable air.

Is it truly incombustible of its rich in fuel?

Scenario.

Intake valve opens and allows 60psi of fresh air into cylinder. Combustion happens and it leaves creating 80psi of drive. Now some of it is left and the intake opens. Now the cylinder is traveling down with some exhaust left in. The 80psi that was left is going to back flow some into the intake but since the piston travels down, it creates more volume that needs to be filled.

Wash rinse and repeat but since there's residual exhaust, it does an incomplete burn and the injector sprays the same amount of fuel, making that exhaust richer. Now it self ignites creating a high toming effect.

We always say smoke is unburnt fuel.

High drive pressure kills power because of pumping loss. HP for HP the engine with high drive will be wasting more power due to pumping loss and therefore requiring a higher cylinder pressure to make the same power.

Guys will drive that tiny ****ty turbo to 600hp and gross drive/boost ratio's. Then buddy puts a better flowing charger and at the same 600hp will require a lower cylinder pressure due to less loss to pumping.

Is it truly incombustible of its rich in fuel?

Scenario.

Intake valve opens and allows 60psi of fresh air into cylinder. Combustion happens and it leaves creating 80psi of drive. Now some of it is left and the intake opens. Now the cylinder is traveling down with some exhaust left in. The 80psi that was left is going to back flow some into the intake but since the piston travels down, it creates more volume that needs to be filled.

Wash rinse and repeat but since there's residual exhaust, it does an incomplete burn and the injector sprays the same amount of fuel, making that exhaust richer. Now it self ignites creating a high toming effect.

We always say smoke is unburnt fuel.

It needs fresh air to create a burn though. The reason I used EGR as an example was EGR's main goal is to kill combustion temps by diluting the fresh air charge with exhaust gas.

High drive pressure kills power because of pumping loss. HP for HP the engine with high drive will be wasting more power due to pumping loss and therefore requiring a higher cylinder pressure to make the same power.

Guys will drive that tiny ****ty turbo to 600hp and gross drive/boost ratio's. Then buddy puts a better flowing charger and at the same 600hp will require a lower cylinder pressure due to less loss to pumping.

I agree with everything you say. Just in the case of stock 6.7's with deletes and a tune the timing is what kills the head gaskets not back pressure.

The annoyance with my H&S box tunes is the injector rattle at light throttle, especially when it is cold. Timing I believe is the culprit here as well. So these MCC tunes are just loaded onto the memory card and put in a normal MiniMaxx and loaded?

Yes, you will have to buy the MCC unlock from h&so or whoever your getting your tunes from which is a $200 one time fee, then buy your tune from a someone who writes tunes (Tom for example), generally around $150.

It needs fresh air to create a burn though. The reason I used EGR as an example was EGR's main goal is to kill combustion temps by diluting the fresh air charge with exhaust gas.

I agree with everything you say. Just in the case of stock 6.7's with deletes and a tune the timing is what kills the head gaskets not back pressure.

But how do you account for the handful of trucks that have blown head gaskets while being completely stock? Couldn't just be timing since it maxes out a little above 18* on a little over 2100us tune, and the low end starts atdc. That's where excessive drive pressure becomes the leading factor. I'm not saying timing isn't a factor. Just that you can't say it's only one thing that does it

Back