Bolt on cam gear retainer

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
My new cam from Greg Hogue is pre-drilled for a cam gear retainer. Do I have to buy a fancy kit from somewhere or can I just use a large washer some red loctite & whatever metric bolt fits ?

id use something heavier than a washer, the ones from hamilton are also pan head, a regular one might hit the cover.

if you have a lathe it would probably take like 40 seconds to make. If not, i guess you can drill it out with a hole saw.

I have one from PureDieselPower sitting right in front of me to go in my engine, it is a very nice piece. The bolt that came with minw though only has 3/4" of threads to engage the cam where the website said 1.5"? No big deal it will hold it on either way with some red loctite lol

I wonder if longer bolt, 1.5" will make the cam stronger on the end instead of having a buried hollow void?

i run them on 95% of the cam istalls i do...imho its a oiece of mind investment...on the 12v and 24v trucks i wiuld almost think it required

Odd that the cam did not come with the correct set-up. My F1 cam had a very nice machined retainer and a TTY bolt with it. Seems to me this is a system and should be sold as such.

I had a retainer bolt break on mine so much for piece of mind. Popped the head right off the bolt. Billet front cover was the only thing keeping the gear from coming out and it broke #1 intake lifter. Found just before my motor went on the engine dyno.

94-98 Dodge 5.9L 12 Valve Cummins Diesel Billet Cam Gear Retainer

This is the one im considering. But if all I am getting is a bolt and a thick piece of metal I can save myself the money and do it myself. I wasn't sure if there was a must have for material or thickness.

thats what i got with my cam from sheid
it sets over the cam shaft its about the same size as the smooth part of your cam gear and alittle over a quarter inch thick but is thiner in the center so the cam can reses into it

Back