Boost issues!!!!

jsmith3391

Hello fellow cummins owners. I'm having issues with boost. I have a d-tech 64mm turbo...stupid purchase in my opinion. But have always had issue building boost and when I say that, I mean I only max out at 34psi. I've adjusted the gate and can't get anymore. I just put a stainless diesel spring gate on the turbo and have it cranked all the way down. Still only see around that 34psi. And I don't know if I have any boost leaks cuz I don't any decent tool to check. I bought this stupid thing from a diesel site that goes on your turbo input to check but that makes no sense cuz u have intake and exhaust open so u can't pressurize the system. Any decent boost leak testers out there? Any input on anything is appreciated. I've had little luck with this on cumminsforum

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Take the rocker arms off or back the lash off till they aren't touching the valves

where is your intake open? how is it not going to seal?

Well I have a hunch that I have a boost leak somewhere. I bought a boost tester from pdp to go on the turbo input. I put psi to it and it escaped as fast as I could put it in. I have a 64mm d tech and I figure I should be seeing lot more than 34 with the fuel I got. 5x.014 sticks. 024 valves. 4k spring kit. Cut plate slid forward. 20* timing. Air dog system.

With the stock turbo I could hit 40+ but its been a year or so since if got rid of that

Check, boots, clamps, manifold gaskets and charge air cooler with soapy water.

So with this boost tester I have which just goes on the turbo intake...I have to back off the rockers so all the valves are closed?

Could be possible that your intercooler is leaking somewhere as well. It definitely sounds like a boost leak to me. Do everything Brad^^^ said and report back to us.

So with this boost tester I have which just goes on the turbo intake...I have to back off the rockers so all the valves are closed?

Yes that ensures a proper seal.

Found my problem everyone. The gasket for the intake plate was blown out were the filter head used to bolt to. I have an air dog and removed that filter head and put the bolts back in. Well the problem is that those 2 bolts are longer and bottomed out in the hole and didn't tighten down on the plate so I had a steady stream out when I pressurized the system. Plates off and gotta order a gasket tomorrow

It wasn't noisy when I psi tested it. I could hear an air howl like the air was travelling then I soaped it down and then I could feel all the air passing through where the gasket was. It was blown out so bad I couldnt build any psi with the tester. When I would drive the truck I could hear a hissing so I kinda figured I had a leak. Would run hot and smoke bad at high rpms

Found my problem everyone. The gasket for the intake plate was blown out were the filter head used to bolt to. I have an air dog and removed that filter head and put the bolts back in. Well the problem is that those 2 bolts are longer and bottomed out in the hole and didn't tighten down on the plate so I had a steady stream out when I pressurized the system. Plates off and gotta order a gasket tomorrow

Well... that was easy enough.

Yeah so ill get this all fixed and psi test it again for any other leaks. It was such a big leak that no psi was built. Steady stream of air out

I just did this to my truck tonight. I didn't back off rockers or block exhaust yet. I found 3 leaks at 10 psi. 2 boots and a pin hole in the intercooler.

I just did this last weekend, I put shop air in the turbo inlet, never loosened the valves or anything, regulated it up to 50 psi. found a couple very small leaks. I would also suggest a ratchet strap or something to hold the test fitting/plug in the turbo. I have seen them come out, and at 50 psi, you could get seriously hurt.....just sayin'.....

Back