Boost leak or turbo?

absext

Lately I've been noticing an air sound coming from the passanger side, sounds like its coming from the glove box. Instead of a nice clean whistle that I'm use to hearing, its more like a SHHHH sound. I can still hear the turbo, more so in 5th and 6th gear but not like it use to be. When downshifting with the EB on the turbo sounds fine with no SHHHH, and the sound gets louder the more fuel I give it. Has anybody noticed this before on their truck or any ideas what it could be? Also I only run the 60HP tune and rarely use the MP8 but that doesn't make a difference anyways. Thanx in advance fellas.

Only visual, was thinking about spaying it with soapy water but not sure how good that will work. Not sure how to perform a pressure test or what's needed to do it. Also I have 128k miles on it now.

PVC cap that matches the inlet side of turbo, tapped and threaded to accept regulated shop air. Get a hose and clamps, attach it to the turbo inlet, start pressurizing SLOWLY and listening for leaks.

I made a test plug to help find any boost leaks. I made mine to fit in the coupler that goes from the turbo to the intercooler but a few of my friends made theirs to fit the coupler that goes into the turbo. I use a regulated air supply in order to start with low pressure and then as I find and seal any leaks I will bump up the air pressure in steps. I usually go to around 20% more air pressure than my setup will make to make sure the couplers and clamps will stay on if there are any boost spikes. I spray some soapy water onto the areas in question that may leak.

Boosttestplug.jpg

I made a test plug to help find any boost leaks. I made mine to fit in the coupler that goes from the turbo to the intercooler but a few of my friends made theirs to fit the coupler that goes into the turbo. I use a regulated air supply in order to start with low pressure and then as I find and seal any leaks I will bump up the air pressure in steps. I usually go to around 20% more air pressure than my setup will make to make sure the couplers and clamps will stay on if there are any boost spikes. I spray some soapy water onto the areas in question that may leak.

Boosttestplug.jpg

What size pipe is that? It looks much smaller than the inlet, or is that to fit the intercooler? And why to the intercooler? Wouldnt you still have to block off the inlet to be able to pressurize the system? Sorry for the dumb question, 1st time dealing with this issue.

Make sure all your connections at each boot are free of oil or any liquids.

What size pipe is that? It looks much smaller than the inlet, or is that to fit the intercooler? And why to the intercooler? Wouldnt you still have to block off the inlet to be able to pressurize the system? Sorry for the dumb question, 1st time dealing with this issue.

Not sure of the size as I have made a few different test plugs for different setups. In the picture you can see the stock intake inlet coupler for the VGT turbo. If you measure it you can build it and put your test plug there. That location is a better spot as you can check the entire air system plus your turbo for air leaks. I had to replace the stock coupler so I just made my test plug fit the coupler that goes from the turbo to the hot side boost tube that feeds the intercooler.

I found a few leaks and fixed them by using stronger couplers combined with better clamps.

Update here fellas, haven't pressure tested yet but a couple days ago the overhead dinged and said perform service. The only thing I can think of that needs to be done is the ccv filter. Also 2days in a row I started the truck and it died about 20sec later, fired back up and ran fine. Really confused and wondering if the ccv might have something to do with all this.

Already did, oil and fuel last week before I started posting. Also no codes and the perform service only comes on after I start the truck. When key is on and waiting to start it shows system ok but soon as I start the truck it dings and comes back. I've tried reloading the tune, reset timers, the pedal and brake trick with no luck of making it go away. Only thing I can think of is to run around the truck 3 times but not sure that will work either. Already ordered the ccv filter and breather tube delete from RSD, waiting on it to show. I just wonder if that would have anything to do with the shhhhh sound? All I know about that filter is it collects oil on cranks, but after that it shouldn't do anything. But I have noticed older trucks with the 5.9's will have blowby from that tube while running, if the ccv is clogged would that maybe cause it to die? But if it did why does it run fine after that. Very confused, shed some light on me before I go bald.

Back