borgeson delphi steering box preload adjustment

kawi600

got Coal for Christmas
Anyone got one of these borgeson delphi (not saginaw) steering boxes and / or know where I could find the bearing preload adjustment procedure for the thing? I have searched till Im blue in the face. All I get is the over center adjustment which is not the right adjustment to tinker with first.
I contacted borgeson and got no reply. maybe this is one of those things you just have to make a voice call for?
Would rather find and follow someones write-up anyhow.

Its a nice unit, but I wonder if whats going on is that the damper isnt taking up the hits like it should so the box is doing it.

I found a little info in a chevy forum I go to sometimes. the front cap, that is either 3 or 4 bolt has to come off, to get to the first adjustment. no real info on specs. I would tighten it and back off 1/4" like a saginaw If I ever adjust one.

I got a reply from borgeson and they say its a delphi 680 unit and that theres no preload adjustment only the over-center adjust.
Ill do some more looking, pretty sure theres an adjustment even if its done with shims. But if its this bad it probably needs a rebuild anyhow.

I’ve never known any adjustment on a steering gear to fix a problem. The adjustments are for setting up the gears when new or rebuilt.

I tweaked the over-center adjustment, which helped a lot. Might look into adding back the damper from the frame to the drag link but I need a 1.5" bar clamp since I run thurens steering on it.
I dont think its so much the impacts that wear the box as the back and forth over time anyhow.
Wonder if there are any additives you can run in PS fluid that help with sliding under pressure.
Id imagine if there was a way it would be offered already
gonna flush the system to clean it out and refill with some of the lubeguard stuff I got on the shelf here

Last edited:
Back