Boxed control arms?

myusername

I need a set of control arms for my stock height 4wd build, and the 35% off advance auto parts with the retail-me-not app is swaying my decision to just go with stock moog parts.

My question is, how much does a set of tubular control arms really help? I don't really have the money to spend $500+ on a set with this thing nickel and diming me everywhere else, so were talking cheap aftermarket vs stock.

My next question is, has anybody tried to box in the stock style arms? Would it not be just as good as a cheap set of aftermarket? Is it even necessary?

I've seen kits sold for Grand Nationals where companies just sell a piece of steel pre-cut to weld onto the stock rear 4-link setup to box the control arms. Comparing apples to oranges, but... If it works there, it should work here, right? Discuss....

I paid $200 for upgraded control arms through BDS suspension. They are nice units. Although I do regret not going to a long arm.

I would recommend making your own. You can get some decent bushings from rough country, get turbo from anywhere, bolts from anywhere, and weld them up. I recommend making a weld fixture so you know that the bottoms are the same and the tops are the same. Then use the factory adjustment to get them aligned and you're set.

All in all you're probably out $80-100 before the alignment.

I'm planning on building a set after doing some research. I'll use a stock arm to make a jig. Should I go 1/4-1/2" longer on them for a stock height truck? Also, does anybody have dimensions on width and bolt size for the bushings? I can get them sometime this weekend when I get a chance to make it to the shop, but if anyone has the dimensions off hand so I can get bushings ordered tomorrow, that would be great. I think i'm going to give the metalcloak duroflex bushings a try

I went the cheap route and just boxed mine in and swapped to Energy Poly bushings.

74DD5923-08ED-4C16-A105-A75544A92F5D-2247-0000013903019D03_zps360d2cfe.jpg

DF8E31E0-FF42-49F5-8E1F-A7FA045F1B14-2247-000001393707F011_zps5109df0f.jpg

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Sky jacker makes a tubular set . They were cheap on Amazon from what I remember

What difference, if any, did anybody feel who just boxed the stock arms? Is it stronger arms or better ends that really make the difference? I got a nice setup from Titan Machine on here for a 3rd gen track bar and 1/2" + control arms. The truck feels very solid now. And the grease-able, rebuild-able joints should mean I won't have to do this again. I'm wondering if replacing the bushing with some sort of 'johnny joint' is what translates into better feel. Or does boxing just by itself reduce flexing too?

Well they are harded to bend. I've bend a few stockers around the farm/ranch and in the woods.

x2 mine were bent from hitting a rock 4x4. I straighted it and welded em up.

No difference felt as I did whole from suspension at same time.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Back