Brakes

Twisted Shifter

Whats a good brake upgrade for the 2nd gen 2500?

Should I do a drum to disc conversion?
EGR wants $1,000.00 Would it be cheaper to get an '01 (think I read) axle?

Just install the larger GM 1 ton rear wheel cylinders, NAPA # 37337, about $7 each. They bolt right in, same bolts, fitting, and push pins.

Racer9 said:
Just install the larger GM 1 ton rear wheel cylinders, NAPA # 37337, about $7 each. They bolt right in, same bolts, fitting, and push pins.
they make the rear brakes actually work, but they still aren't enough.. If you can find a decent price on an 01.5 or 02 rear axle I have a feeling that'd be cheapest... I wish they'd give us more options on these Dodges.. Aftermarket doesn't give a crap about our trucks in that area.. Ford and Chevy stuff is everywhere..

Maybe I do the wheel cylinders for now .... try to find an 01/02 axle and have it narrowed before I install it?

Thanks for the help!!!

I need to do new rotors and calipers on the front, any suggestions?

I know when I looked into swapping my Dana 80 axle with drum brakes for an '01 or '02 Dana 80 with disc brakes the only difference was that the rear tires would stick out about 1/2 inch farther on each side. Beyond that, it was a straight bolt up as near as I could tell. You'll also likely need the brake master cylinder and proportioning valve off the newer truck.

As for the fronts, I put on the EGR slotted rotors and "superduty" calipers (hand fitted pistons in the calipers for best fit at operating temps), along with stainless steel brake lines all around. That was a few years ago and has worked quite well.

-Jay

I put a Disc brake Dana 80 in the wifes 98 simple swap yes the rear is maybe an inch wider but it's not bad at all, lines and sensors even plugged right in. Only problem is I still need to shorten the E-brake cable to make that work! Anyway, to be perfectly honest there was zero difference (seat of the pants, anyway) in the braking before and after the swap, course I wasn't doing timed braked runs or braking while towing maybe under those conditions it would be more noticeable! I keep saying I'm gonna try the GM wheel cylinder upgrade in my 98 but I haven't got around to it yet!

Back