Broke off my ARP head stud...

it was about 225 i shut it off and parked it i drove it home and made it never got that hot and thanks everybody for the help i had a guy drill it out he broke 2 bits the studs are very strong

225 isn't overheated and didn't break your stud. I wander why it broke? Did you over boost it?

well it maxes out at 230 on the gage and it was steaming bad the guy who took it out said its just a junk bolt it was when it was new and no when there was injectors and 4 k springs in it i would barry the boost gague at 60 now i hit 40

Over torqued studs is the most prominent cause of breakage. Either from the incorrect lube or a miss-calibrated torque wrench. Or even the stud being bottomed out in the threaded hole and binding on install. Boost #'s have no bearing on the longevity of a stud. Send the stud back to ARP and see what they say. Otherwise it's just a guessing game. There is no way someone can look at a stud and say it was bad. Even a properly trained metallurgist can not say by a visual inspection.

well i know 125 lbs on a arp 2000 with arp lube tourqued to proper sequense will blow a headgasket at 60 lbs of boost. but an arp 2000 torqued to 140 lbs will hold it all day long.

Over torqued studs is the most prominent cause of breakage. Either from the incorrect lube or a miss-calibrated torque wrench. Or even the stud being bottomed out in the threaded hole and binding on install. Boost #'s have no bearing on the longevity of a stud. Send the stud back to ARP and see what they say. Otherwise it's just a guessing game. There is no way someone can look at a stud and say it was bad. Even a properly trained metallurgist can not say by a visual inspection.

he has the A-1's which you have to bottom tap the block and get spin in until the bulb hits the bottom

well i know 125 lbs on a arp 2000 with arp lube tourqued to proper sequense will blow a headgasket at 60 lbs of boost. but an arp 2000 torqued to 140 lbs will hold it all day long.

I'll disagree with this, I have the normal arp 12mm and have seen way more than 60 psi with a good amount of timing and rpm with no headgasket issues. torqued to 125 with there lube

or you can just go with a good set of socket cap bolts grade 12.9 and they are much better than stock and have withstood over 60 psi on my truck for quite awhile, if anyone wants a set i sell them on ebay here> Grade 12.9 Socket Cap Head Bolt Set, 12 Valve Cummins - eBay (item 160533869077 end time Jan-27-11 10:12:05 PST)

i have mine properly torqued to 150 ft lbs and still holding strong, mighty diesel sells this same thing for 130 bucks, and as far as stock cummins head bolts these are a much better and stronger alternative.

ok well igot the new stud and nut put it in started it and it ran about 40 min then got a little antifreeze from where the stud goes in so now what head gasket need help

Back