Brownie box

millertime1321

Ok, so I've searched for some info on these and got a lot off some ford forums and heavy duty forums, but I'm missing some key elements. I wanted an auxiliary overdrive and I have been reading a lot about guys burning up their gear vendors. With us gear being out of business I wanted to find something like a spicer 5831 since its light enough for our trucks but still heavy duty and has an overdrive. I have a 47rh and wanted to find some info on how well this might work behind an automatic. These are not synchronized so in a manual id have to double clutch and match speed. My question is with an automatic I should be able to do the same by letting off the gas and pushing it into overdrive. My fear is that by doing that it would put a lot of stress on the output shaft shifting on the fly. Is this just a pipe dream here or is there a possibility of using this as a good heavy duty upgrade over the gearvendors. It would allow me to keep the low 4.10 gears and gain some cruising mileage. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Also i know these are much older units, is there an electronically or air shifted unit that is more modern and might work better behind an auto?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Back