Buddies 2001 7.3 shut off while driving

StrokerSmoker73

Was in my buddies 2001 7.3 and as we were driving it started running rough then shut off. It will not start back up. We got it back to my house and we unplugged the icp sensor to see if it woulds start up, it wouldnt. We then took the icp sensor out and hooked up a guage and was getting 0 PSI. He wanted to get a bigger hpop for his 250/100 injectors anyway. He order the terminator t 500 modded hpop, new icp, and new ipr. We installed all of this and now he is only getting 250 psi on both banks. We have cranked the truck for awhile now thinking maybe it had air in the lines. We pulled the valve covers off to see if maybe a injector o ring was bad but everything looks good. So what could cause the hpop to not make the 500 psi to start. A couple times the truck wanted to start but wouldnt hpop was makin about 400-450 psi.

cam position sensor. its good to keep a spare in the glove box with a couple sockets, cant remember, think its a 10 and a 12 . 5 minute fix.

Injector o rings
Did you pull the injectors out? Make sure you have 12 volts to the IPR and 5 vref to icp

Last edited:
We have 12 volts to ipr and 5 volt ref at the icp. Injector o rings are all good and injectors are farily new. Full force diesel injectors with about 8000 miles on them.

Whats your low oil pressure like while cranking. I have seen a 7.3 crack the LOPP before and have the same sytmpoms.

Pull Oil pressure sensor off and make sure there is oil in the tank.

I'd say the IPR sounds like it's sticking open not allowing it to build pressure but you ruled that out it sounds like. Can you swap a known, good HPOP in to rule out the T500?

Back