buddys 7.3 ICP problems

smokin06

my buddy has a 02 7.3 and has went thru about 4 icp sensors whats causing this and is there any upgraded sensors, i am a cummins man and not real knowledgeable on the powerstrokes, i read where he might need to replace the pigtail that might be causing his failures any help would be appreciated.

Wow, 4?

They ain't cheap that sucks.

It shouldn't be to hard to pull the cover back and expose the pigtail to check for any liquids. Pending that, instalation technique maybe?

These PSD's are kinda complicated and you're pretty much always learing something new.

What are his mods? If he's runnin the 10k mod then that's exactly why.

Fill us in and I'll try to take a better stab at it.

he has two boxes stacked not sure what they are exactly but one of them taps in to that icp is what he is saying, anybody heard of that.

he has two boxes stacked not sure what they are exactly but one of them taps in to that icp is what he is saying, anybody heard of that.
With today's chips and programmers, there's no reason he should be running an ICP fooler anymore. Remove it, check the wiring and harness, and see what happens.

By the way, how is he diagnosing the issue? Also, what exactly are his symptoms? Is the truck stalling, running rough, or what?

Just because he has an ICP code, doesn't mean it's the ICP. For instance, if the truck is stalling and throwing an ICP code, more than likely the IPR on the back of the HPOP is failing, not the ICP sensor itself.

With today's chips and programmers, there's no reason he should be running an ICP fooler anymore. Remove it, check the wiring and harness, and see what happens.

By the way, how is he diagnosing the issue? Also, what exactly are his symptoms? Is the truck stalling, running rough, or what?

Just because he has an ICP code, doesn't mean it's the ICP. For instance, if the truck is stalling and throwing an ICP code, more than likely the IPR on the back of the HPOP is failing, not the ICP sensor itself.

Everything he said, plus if he's stackin boxes he's asking for trouble. You can get more power out of a single chip from somebody that know's what he's doin, than any two stacked chips.

I'd say simply, remove the stacked boxes, and smile when you don't loose another ICP.

But like the man before me said, if he's diagnosing a bad ICP because the truck is runnin rough, remove whatever box hooks to it and make sure the box ain't the problem. Either way, remove the stack.

its leaking oil out of the icp, pretty sure the icp is bad

Is he buying the old style ICP sensors? A few years back, Ford updated them to the early 6.0L style. The new ones don't leak.

Out of like into the plug? Yup it's bad.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a big difference between the OEM parts and "Auto Zone" type parts. I've had three "Auto Zone" type bearings go in my front end.

Tell him to sell whatever tuner's he's got on it, and buy one of the half dozen or so custom burned chips availible for the 7.3.

Then go to the dealer and get the OEM ICP.

The ICP connecting tuners, simply trick the PCM into thinkin that the HPOP is not pushin as much pressure as it's supposed to. So the truck ramps it up. I've never data logged one of those tuners, but I'd be willin to bet it's makin his truck try to reach pressures well over the 3200psi "safe" limit on the oil system. Which will smoke a cheap aftermarket part.

I have 191k on my factory ICP and the obvious difference in trucks is, he's trickin his HPOP into pushin higher pressure. There is NO benifit to pushin more than 3000, the injectors themselves will bypass the extra pressure. You want a lot of oil at 3000, not a normal amount at 4000, in order to see a proper gain in the power curve.

The only thing seperating the electrical side of the ICP sensor from the oil, is a rubber or plastic diaphram. I guaruntee the cheaper aftermarket ones don't like more than 3000 psi, and IMHO, that's why he keep loosin 'em.

Loose the box. Give it to someone that don't know any better or sell it on one of the ford forums.

Last edited:
thanks allot guys for the info this forum is great, what box or tuner do you guys recommend he sled pulls it regularly. thanks allot again

I've got a DP-Tuner with 7 tunes I'll sell him. I'm out of town at the moment, but I think it's programed for a VDH4 PCM.

But, it depends on his other mods. Some tuners don't have good luck with certain mods they're unfamiliar with. 7.3's are all about tuning, and they need tuners that know what they're doing.

But, PHP, Tony Wildman, DP-Tuner, are the leaders of the pack.

Swamps has their own tunes, Beans has their own tunes, Brians Truck Shop, and a few others have custom tunes. Most of 'em reburn blank TS chips.

Can't go wrong with any of 'em IMHO. But you will definately find people who prefer one. And people that won't run some of 'em.

I'm tossin around the idea of goin with Beans tunes, since they're so close to me, and I'm probably gonna go with their injectors pretty quick here.

But, in my one and only sled pull, the DP gave me great throttle responce and awesome low end power to get the sled movin. It was a bad track and I never got 'er floored, so I dunno how it would handle the top end. Tow's good though!

What else does he have done to the truck / what are his plans for the truck?

Tony Wildman does free reburns for the life of the chip, so if your bud mods something in the future, he can send his chip back for new tunes to get his truck right with the new mod. Most of the tuners have a similar option, or offer cheap ways to update your tunes.

The DP I have, holds up to 16 tunes, and if I mod something, or want one the tunes to shift a little different, or fuel harder at a different RPM than it does, Jody can update the tune, then I log on to his page and download it, plug the laptop into a USB port under the dash and reburn the chip. And with 16 positions, I can keep my dyno tune on the chip, and put my sled pull tune right next to it, with a drive thru tune or something like that in between them and my daily driving tunes. And if I don't like the order they're in, I can reburn that too. It's definately the most convenient chip availible.

I recommend your buddy actually calls and talks to each of these guys though, Bill @ PHP, Jody @ DP, and Tony @ Total Diesel Performance. That way his choice is his alone. None of these guys will give him a bad chip, but he may prefer options one has over another, or prefer the customer service of one over another.

Forgot to mention, Tony's daughter recently went through a fight with a brain tumor/cancerous tumor, and I believe she's still in recovery.

So he might be kinda hard to reach, but it may be worth gettin ahold of 'em. Everybody I know with his tunes loves him.

Back