Building an Xtreme Dana 80 for Pulling

98xtremcummins

I'm building a dana 80 for my 98 pulling truck. I have the ctm 37 splinded axles, detroit locker, Good Gears, and all new top quality bearings. I've heard guys talking about braking the center section loose and causing alot damge. Can a person build a support that welds the center section to the tubes or can I just do 2inch bead on the front and back to help keep it together? I'm also building the ladder bars as soon as the axle is back in. I'm well equiped to build just about anything. Let me know what everyone thinks.

Dido, I used a Nicad rod when I did mine on the original BBD.

I thought most preffered the ARB for stregnth over the Detroits?

BBD

Also do you weld all the way around or just 2-3 inch beeds????? THis truck is a pull truck only NO STREERT MANORS HERE

Partial welds are fine - don't heat soak the axle tubes.

Buy welding the tubes, you guys are talking about welding the tubes where they meet the center section?

Buy welding the tubes, you guys are talking about welding the tubes where they meet the center section?

Yes. I have only seen it happen once in person, but I know it has happened to several others. My buddy has a pretty decent running 3.0 truck. He pulled one night and it started hopping some at the end of the pull. He ended up breaking. I thought it was just a ujoint or something, but when we get up to the truck the pinion yoke is pointing towards the sky.

You've already got the high zoot axle shafts so why not go with a high zoot spool too? Detroit Lockers are overrated.

Scott

I am bringing a couple of spools and shafts with me to Zanesville, so if anyone wants to see how stout the spool is stop by and see me.

Hey Uncle bens. You selling any of those spools or not. Just asking. Wheres the best place to get a full spool? Thanks for all the help guys.

Back