Building my first shop

The poles used on my barn were laminated 6x6. This way the entire pole that goes into the ground is treated VS a treated 6x6 where only the outer 1/2 of it gets treated when they pressure treat it. Also having gutters and a good way to keep the ground dry close to the barn has a decent effect I imagine.

Correct. My biggest concern with pole barns is heaving. Keeping the ground dry around the building will help lesson that. But I think no matter what you will expect some movement between the outer walls and floor. There is a pole shed 30 miles from me that’s heaved bad in a few spots.

I would be finishing the insulation, drywall, etc. But what would the cost be of pole barn building vs steel frame building finished at 60x100? From what I've seen, using the proper treated wood with a minimum of uc-4b and building the building correctly it should last me the rest of my life which is all I care about, they're used religiously here for shops and homes with no issues if its the right people doing it. I don't know how to do it thats for sure, but thats what I've seen here. But depending on steel, that would be the only other option I've considered, I would if it wasnt much more, but if its doubling the cost and both will last as long as I need then I don't see the point.

My 2 choices would be wood framed or icf. If steel is your second choice, I would stick with a pole barn.

My 2 choices would be wood framed or icf. If steel is your second choice, I would stick with a pole barn.

I hadn't even heard of icf, the main things built around here that I've seen are mostly pole barn but some steel. I thought steel was suppose to a better choice. Whats the issues with it?

OP, do you live in the northern area where it snows?
Reason I ask is because a few years ago when I took a trip from Houston up to South Dakota. And it seemed like once I entered snow area (north of Oklahoma) all buildings turned into wood frame and not steel.
In the south, metal builds are dominate. Which leads me to my question I have asked before in another thread. Why are wood framed builds popular in northern climates and steel are popular in southern climates?

For my main building I plan to work out of for the next several decades, a metal building on a concrete slab would be my only thought. No worries about possible post rot from the ground contact wood, ever.

I hadn't even heard of icf, the main things built around here that I've seen are mostly pole barn but some steel. I thought steel was suppose to a better choice. Whats the issues with it?

The way steel buildings are insulate and sealed isn’t near what wood frame or icf would be. Unless you insulate like commercial ones are built. And you don’t want to pay for that. Lol

How cold does it get where you are and for how long?

Correct. My biggest concern with pole barns is heaving. Keeping the ground dry around the building will help lesson that. But I think no matter what you will expect some movement between the outer walls and floor. There is a pole shed 30 miles from me that’s heaved bad in a few spots.

Heaving is due to not digging the holes below the frost line. Like the other guy just posted pole barns are dominate in this area and I'd also much rather finish the inside of a pole barn than a steel one

I am in central KY, our frost line I believe is about 24". Pole bars are very popular so its an easy choice to go with because it must be working for everyone else. There are some steel buildings but not many that I'm aware of. A guy who graduated some years before me builds pole barns for a living, very good at it, and he can't build them fast enough. He along with a mininite around here are two I will be quoting for the job if that is the way I go, which it has been my leading choice so far. I tried to look up about pricing on a finished shop with the icf but I couldn't find anything that really said a 60x100 shop will be this much money like you can find for pole barn or steel buildings. I was curious about it but all I can find is more about cost savings compared to stick frame homes.

I am in central KY, our frost line I believe is about 24". Pole bars are very popular so its an easy choice to go with because it must be working for everyone else. There are some steel buildings but not many that I'm aware of. A guy who graduated some years before me builds pole barns for a living, very good at it, and he can't build them fast enough. He along with a mininite around here are two I will be quoting for the job if that is the way I go, which it has been my leading choice so far. I tried to look up about pricing on a finished shop with the icf but I couldn't find anything that really said a 60x100 shop will be this much money like you can find for pole barn or steel buildings. I was curious about it but all I can find is more about cost savings compared to stick frame homes.

I just built my entire house out of icf. Love it. Built a few houses and large shop for someone else as well. Comfy that’s for sure.
Imo to assume it’s ok because it’s the norm around you isn’t always good. That’s why people buy rtm homes lol well they have it and they are still in business... must be good.
I am the first icf home in my general area that I know of. Most people are afraid to trying something different and new because they are either talked out of it from a builder who doesn’t want to put out the effort or everyone around them does the standard. My house was the opposite. Building for years, I knew what I want. Sometimes I had to educate the supplying company. But I believe I got what I wanted. My house is larger than most people I know and cheaper to heat. Yesterday our temperature came up to 30 degrees Celsius. My friends house got to 27 inside because his ac isn’t switched on yet, mine climbed from the set 21 up to 22 degrees, with no ac on either. My house is so airtight it’s stupid. Lol But a shop is different than a house. You don’t really need that kind of comfort. Only benefit is a shop that large will need good heat to stay warm.

If you go pole barn or possible stick frame, I suggest strapping inside and adding a 1.5” layer of ridgid insulation to add r value and thermal break from the framing and those large posts.

Heaving is due to not digging the holes below the frost line. Like the other guy just posted pole barns are dominate in this area and I'd also much rather finish the inside of a pole barn than a steel one

Yes and no. Plenty of things dug below the frost line can and will heave. Seems plenty of cement piles 10’ down with a 3’ frost line heave. But I agree I would choose pole before steel.

If you're worried about wood rot around here (we're "neighbors" and I wouldn't put the wood in the ground ;) ) you can put a standard pole 10ft wall height pole barn on top of like a 4ft tall concrete or block stem wall. Obviously a 4ft tall concrete wall is going to be more expensive than an that same space made up of metal-sided wooden poles. But it looks really nice and gets the wood up away from the ground.

Back