bus type oil filter

12vriviera

That Guy with that car
From Wix i can get a standard replacement filter, our the bus type with lid, its about 2"taller with that much more filter media,
Only difference it days is not to use with the truck style center post..
Other than bypass being at a different height, what's the reason not to run the bigger filter? they both tighten into the housing the same as far as sealing surface goes..

Thoughts, reasons,etc?

the original ford filters were made by racor division of parker hydraulic. Wix along with several other filter co. were sued to patent infringement. Sense other companies were forced to modify there design from the original to get around the patent laws. The problem is the bypass valve and drain back valve is part of the housing. therefore filter length is patented the aftermarket filters do not fit the housing correctly and engage the valves correctly. Use of none OEM filters may cause drain back or broken bypass valves resulting in No filtration and engine failure! e series and f series have completely different housing requiring different lids. The actual racor filter is the same for both early and late 6.0 e series f series and 6.4 but due patent laws wix is prevented from selling a copy of the original filter. Wix answer was to modify the lid to accommodate a different dimension filter but due to the variances in housing they were forced to make several for each of the different housings

So... Can he use the bus filter?

No it will fit an f series hosing but will not engage the bypass properly rendering the filter useless.
The simple use of non ford/Racor oil and fuel filters can result in severe engine damage in both 6.0 & 6.4 engines. There are a few filter companies who pay royalties to Racor/Parker to use their design but I cannot keep track of every filter co. Best thing to do is just look on the web. A case of 12 Genuine Parker pfl2016 can be bought for 160 bucks. Use the correct lid and make sure the stand pipe is in good condition.

If the bypass opens at 25psi, then not engaging it (rendering it useless) would then filter all the oil correct?

The drainback valve that allows the filter canister to drain when the filter is removed does not function properly with filters other than Motorcraft. Also there is a good chance the bypass valve will not seal in the top of aftermarket filters. An open drainback valve causes low oil pressure and an unsealed bypass valve causes unfiltered oil to go to the engine. The oil cooler bypass valve is not effected by the filter design.

gotcha... I looked for a cutaway diagram all day to see if i could find differences.. No luck. Thanks guys. Running a Motorcraft filter from now on, just wish there was an option for more capacity (it never hurts) in the stock location..

The Wix filters with the Lid/Cup are known for leaking badly. A fleet of ambulances I worked on had them and we ended up going back to Motorcraft filters and OEM cup

FWIW: There was a TSB out along time ago about using aftermarket filters and the issues they caused. Mainly fuel filters but Ive seen issues with aftermarket oil filters leaking as mentioned above. Stick with the MotorCraft for peace of mind IMO.

Back