Cam bushings

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
I've searched and searched, and no threads actually give any specs.

What I've found is when you line bore for cam bushings, you are installing a modified rear journal bushing from a CR.

What does the bore need to be, is it the same as the front journal that already uses a bushing or is it something different?

We used a bushing that was thicker than the front one. I got the part through cummins and i have the part number laying around and ill put it up when i find it. They had to cut a lot out of the block something like .120

Last edited:
I have been told to just use the factory ones and then Scheid uses some different ones so it is alittle confusing.

I know, and its hard to get a straight answer on this. My machinist needs to know what to bore it out to so he can make sure he has the right tooling. I originally told him to make it just match the front journal, but now I am not too sure.

I know, and its hard to get a straight answer on this. My machinist needs to know what to bore it out to so he can make sure he has the right tooling. I originally told him to make it just match the front journal, but now I am not too sure.

Who's doing the cam, they oughta be able to tell you.

Hamilton said make it match the front one. Scheid uses a thicker and thinner width one for the others. That's what I have come up with so far.

You use the stock ones but have to turn them down to different widths.

I haven't heard of any one doing this, I left mine alone, is this a popular thing? I can't see much of a benefit... Would not be fun installing that bushing!

It depends on the ramp rates and spring pressure plus the obvious lubrication quality.

How many RPM? If you're going to sink several thousand dollars into building an engine, I wouldn't get skimpy when it comes to cam bearings.
Jerrod windows blocks before he wears the cam journals out. There are several folks who run billet cams without cam bushings though.

Back