Cam Question

Big Smoky

Former 35er Electrician!
Do yall think it would be worth it to put an aftermarket cam in if I don't have the head ported and change the exhaust manifold? Money is a little issue, thats why I ask. I know how restictive the exhaust sides of these 12v's are. I'm thinking just do the cam anyway right now, as I'm going to have the engine torn down. Thanks

Cam would be the last thing I did and it is the last thing I will do, still running a stocker as of now.

Jim

Drill and tap the stocker in place and make or buy a retainer for it, 7/16 fine thread is what I did.

I have a PDR cam in my engine and I loved the difference it made. Spool was improved, EGT's maxxed lower and rose slower, less boost PSI, and thinned out my smoke. But I already had a ported head with bigger valves as well. If you are tearing the engine down do your own port and polish before you have the valve job done.

I have a PDR cam in my engine and I loved the difference it made. Spool was improved, EGT's maxxed lower and rose slower, less boost PSI, and thinned out my smoke. But I already had a ported head with bigger valves as well. If you are tearing the engine down do your own port and polish before you have the valve job done.

did you port the exhaust side only or did u cut the intake off n port the intake?

Do yall think it would be worth it to put an aftermarket cam in if I don't have the head ported and change the exhaust manifold? Money is a little issue, thats why I ask. I know how restictive the exhaust sides of these 12v's are. I'm thinking just do the cam anyway right now, as I'm going to have the engine torn down. Thanks

I know some guys in Taylor that'll drill/tap the cam for ya, and if the motors down, might as well do some port work on the head and manifold.

did you port the exhaust side only or did u cut the intake off n port the intake?

I did bowl work on the intake and exhaust and then runner work for the exhaust, I also added intake valves on the exhaust side for more flow as well.

No matter what you do stock or aftermarket drill and tap the cam and run a retainer with it. I didn't listen to people advise and ended up having piston to valve contact due to the gear walking off, which resulted in killing my engine.

I did mine in place and besides the cam material being very hard to drill it's no big deal. Just buy a new drill bit and keep it cool while drilling, make a pan underneath the cam to catch "all" the shavings during the drilling and taping process, it will take some time but really not all that bad. jmo i couldnt see paying someone to do it for ya...

What are you guys using for a retainer when drilling and tapping the cam? Im getting close to doing my tear down, so im trying to pick up all the little tips now.

Alright, thanks guys. Does anyhave pics of the retainers that they made? If I don't go with a new cam, I'll for sure do this. The last thing I need is that gear walking off.

Alright, thanks guys. Does anyhave pics of the retainers that they made? If I don't go with a new cam, I'll for sure do this. The last thing I need is that gear walking off.

Hamilton probably has a few on hand but not sure on the fit.

when are you gonna need a cam? I will have an HD cams big stick for sale in the next few months

My gear walked about a 1/2" and "self clearanced" the timing cover, while the cam pushed the expansion plug out the back of the block.

84590c58.jpg

c5913100.jpg

Oh, wow...very scary looking. Don't want that happening. I'm callin Zach tomorrow! lol

Back