Cam Seal

dangerous06

diesel tech
Been fighting an oil leak on a truck for a while Seems to be the cam seal between the tranny mount and engine. Replaced it, RTV sealed it Still pouring out?! Could the adapter be warped? Just weird any suggestions or help is appreciated! Dropping the tranny every other day is getting old! And yes I searched for all possible causes! There are two plugs to oil galley's back there and they are dry.....NOW!

In on this one to learn. Have the same problem on my '99 24v. Between PS oil leak and what I thought was a rear main leaking I got pissed and yanked the motor out. Rear leak on mine turned out to be the cam seal on mine as well. Ordered a new cam seal and upon opening and looking at it the mating surface to the block is the same thickness as the plug itself. I guess I had expected it to be more like a freeze plug with more surface mating area to help seal it up and keep it true in the bore upon instillation. Anyone know of one with a thicker mating surface (like a freeze plug) or a nifty o-ringed version?
As far as an initial cause to the oil leak; could the cam gear walking do this?

I've always used red loctite around the OD (all oil totally cleaned up) and a ball peen to install them. Works like a charm.

Sent from my flashscan v2

I've always used red loctite around the OD (all oil totally cleaned up) and a ball peen to install them. Works like a charm.

Sounds like a rear main install?? My issue is the oring for the cam between the mount and engine. Even with a Gray RTV bead it still leaks!

bah ****, common rail uses that stupid housing plug instead of the earlier metal cam plug and oring I was referring to... my mistake

Granted mine is a 12 valve but I applied JB Weld epoxy around the cam plug after getting it back from the machine shop who installed a new plug.

Normally I just replace the seal and that works but I had one engine it leak again so I used some 5699 Loctite and that fixed it.

Back