Can I still drive this with the new driveshaft yoke?

Dave88LX

Brought my driveshaft to the shop to get a new carrier bearing put on. ($100 parts & labor...I don't know the brand, didn't check yet). While there he pointed out a groove in the yoke that slides into the transfer case. I'll have to take a closer look at it to see how wide and deep it is. I figured while I was there I would get a new yoke and u-joint for the front. I think I overpaid, but I've had a crappy day, didn't feel like shopping around, and just wanted it done. Spicer front yoke w/ a Neapco u-joint, cost $130 for parts/labor on that. I wanted Spicer non-greaseable, but whatever, what's done is done.

Anyways, he said the groove on the yoke was caused by a worn bushing in the transfer case, and if I didn't replace it, it would do the same thing to the new yoke. I just had the transfer case rebuilt ~1 year ago, I would think that whatever bushing he is talking about is good; but then again with a bad carrier bearing, maybe it prematurely wore out?

Or maybe even he doesn't know what he's talking about?

Can I just install this thing? Or is there some bushing in the transfer case I need to replace?

...and did I get ripped off? ;) I think I already know that answer.

I would say that somewhere there was/is excess slop in the driveline. My yoke had the groove in it and I picked up a wear sleeve from my local friendly Napa for under $20.

brnaodn.

Back