Cleaning haze off of headlights

BgBlDodge

Hates hippies
My headlights have started doing the usual yellowing trick that headlights do. Don't ask me why, I dunno. I keep them cleaned and waxed. I've used buffing compound and a buffing wheel to take it off before but I was wondering if there was a better way.

I think compound is about one of the best ways to get it off. I like to sand them with about 6 to 800 grit and clear coat them. I have always seen good results with that$.02

Thanks for the ideas. I've got plenty of toothpaste so maybe I'll try that this weekend. I'm trying to get my lights up to par before winter sets in. Got the 7" piaa's mounted and now I need to work on the headlights. Yall got any other ideas?

Ugh. This will be the 2nd time I've had to do this and i'm getting tired of it. Thanks for the help yall.

I would sand them with 600 grit paper and clearcoat them. I am an Autobody Technician by trade and have done many of these headlights this way. The clear will hold to the heat and all other types of abuse. It will keep your headlights looking good for a substantual amount of time.

BgBlDodge said:
Ugh. This will be the 2nd time I've had to do this and i'm getting tired of it. Thanks for the help yall.

Just like a typical/half arse clearcoat the UV protection in these molded plastic lenses rises to the top/exterior portion of the lens and with no UV protection staying immersed. Remove a little of the top surface by sanding/buffing where all the UV is and you are SOL. This is why buffing/ polishing looks great in the short term.

If you've ever heard someone say not to buff said clearcoat so long after painting because the wet sanding and buffing will remove the UV protectors that rose to the top and would be removed it's the same principle.

As stated you can apply automotive clear to the lens the only issue is not everyone is setup to spray clear.

Another option I learned at NACE in Vegas last week is Presta is about to release a headlight lens clear specifically for this application (not to say others don't exist) and it should be inexpensive and easy to apply knowing them.

I should know something in a week or two but if I forget PM me to remind me.

Blue Magic. I think that's what it's called. It's a gritty liquid... Put some of that on it, and just rub the crap out of them. I didn't think it would work but I could tell a night and day difference. Really works well and beats buying new headlights. When they told me how much new ones would cost, I almost had a heart attack.

-Colt

Back