Clutch pedal issues

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
Just recently put a nv4500 in my 2X4 fummins.

The clutch pedal does not come all the way back up. Once pushed down it comes roughly 2" below the level of being even with the brake & throttle pedal. From my understanding the clutch pedal should come back further then the brake? I drove the truck very little since the swap (just in the yard) and it shifts ok...the clutch releases really low to the floor.

I tried bleeding the clutch hydraulics, but with no helpers I couldn't see if there were any bubbles coming back up.

Does this sound like there is still air in the lines? Or should I be looking at something else? It's stock dodge clutch and I beleive the hydraulics is part ford part dodge.

I have done a few and only one gave me an issue. My issue was for some reason the dodge slave cylinder was not traveling far enough with the ford master pushing it. Now I was pushing a dual disc but had heavy duty hydros to do it. Plus I have done it on other fummins's I have built and had no issues.
Anyway, the fix was to use a slave from a mid 90's jeep cherokee. it has a smaller body and requiers less fluid transfer from the master to dissengage clutch fully. Pedal felt way better clutch started to release 1/2 way down to floor. pedal returned even with brake pedal. The slave I got from the parts place had a bleeder built into the side which helped a great deal.
Good Luck.
Brent.

Last edited:
Got it to work briefly. Just as soon as the truck was able to move under its own power the plastic rod piece on the factory dodge maser cylinder snapped. So I ordered a Valair upgraded unit and low and behold it doesn't fit!! the rod is metal (which is why I ordered it) But the metal rod isn't as long as the factory plastic unit!

So the new valair unit won't bolt up to the clutch pedal. It seems if the rod was 3/4" longer it would fit.
In the directions it says NOT to use the mounting plate that would hold it to the fire wall. But without using the mounting plate I would have nothing holding the master cylinder unit to the fire wall.

are you using a dodge upgraded hydro and then just swap the dodge master to the ford master. might get some air when you swap over the masters to the upgraded hydro

All dodge parts. It's a valair upgraded unit for a 94-98 dodge...what I don't get is the rod length on the new unit is shorter then the factory dodge unit that broke. So the hole at the end of the rod doesn't even come close to fitting on my ford pedal like the old stock plastic unit.

You probably needed a 98-02 set, the rod is longer and adjustable.

Back