common rail head / p pump 4bt

camccardell

Got a little project going.
I would like to try to put a common rail head on a 4bt and run a p pump.

I acquired a isb 170 head today. I would have just purchased the whole motor, but the dang thing is rear gear train. I want to run a different trans, so that is out of the question.

So, common rail head on a 8v block. So many things to change and consider.
I have questions too.

Like pistons. Would it be better to use 24v pistons or common rail pistons?
Injectors. I would assume that I need to use 24v injectors, since they are mechanical right? Will they fit into a common rail head even?

Cam Shaft.
Big head scratcher here. Can I just use the stock cam, or a re-grind?
Is the metal from a common rail cam different from a mechanical injected one?
What about lifters and pushrods?
I know that there will definitely be more spring pressure with a 16v head than with an 8.

Any other upgrades to consider? Like connecting rods or anything like that?
Going to be a 4k rpm motor. Thinking it would be an ideal swap for the wifes suburban

This is going to be a fun build!

I'm doing it because I want a 16v 4bt.
I actually considered keeping the common rail fuel system, but that would be extremely difficult to make work.
No aftermarket support is a big part of it. Even if I did run a whole stock 170 with the alison trans, no rpms above 2600. Screw that.
I even considered running a 2.3 ford ecm set up for SD. I'm sure I could make it work, but then there would only be 1 injection cycle, not multiple like from the factory.

Use VP pistons, VP injectors with common rail cross tubes. Hamilton Cam with 24 valve lifters and pushrods. Call up Scheid Diesel and tell them you want P-pump to common rail head injection lines but only the first four. Its would be pretty easy to do.

Think you might have to cut the intake off the head so that the gov housing won't hit the head.

Think you might have to cut the intake off the head so that the gov housing won't hit the head.

That's what I did on my CR head on my 5.9, but I've seen some people cut a square hole in the plenum and weld in a little box type thing so it clears.

Back