Compound build help with Heat Exchanger

zrultima

Hey guys im running a s363/s480 compound I am trying to figure out how to mount the turbos using 06towrig design but I came up on a dilemma as far as the heat exchanger is concern. When mocked up the primary was hitting the heat exchanger so I had it removed to see fitment and without it there it fit like a charm. I have seen some aftermarket offerings from Derale what would you guys run??

Any of guys have pics with the cooler under the bed what we were thinking is running a cooler up front on top of the radiator and block off or loop the coolant lines that were previously on the exchanger. Again i have to advise I am not really sure on what to do just need the ideas and whatever can keep the tranny cool and what we can do with the coolant lines

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I am looking at Derale Part#15960 would this work I saw it on CPP so I was wondering if anyone used this product

We have relocated the heat exchanger to the front crossmember for a customer that wanted to keep the factory system. Worked really good with some creative plumbing.

I have too stock coolant/ oil heat exchanger behind front bumper, it's only way to go

Last edited:
I run a cooler that is very similar to the one in your link. I kept the factory cooler in front of the radiator and I removed the heat exchanger and capped the coolant lines. Works great for me.

Yeah i am getting completely rid of the exchanger and just loop the coolant lines. I dont want to mix with coolant regardless i just bought it does anyone have a write up on the install???

Yeah i am getting completely rid of the exchanger and just loop the coolant lines. I dont want to mix with coolant regardless i just bought it does anyone have a write up on the install???

You don't want to loop them. You want to plug them. Looping them will make a short circuit and lower your overall coolant pressure and flow.

I ordered up some 'sharkbite' plugs, but didn't like them. I eventually just turned some aluminum, added barbs, used the stock rubber elbows, and stock clamps. No leaks for ~15k so far.

Alright I will plug them is it difficult to install one of those Derale tranny coolers do I have to but different lines to go into it??

Yeah, just have it set up in series. If you delete the w2w cooler, you'll most likely want to go to the derale first, then the cooler on the front of the truck. That'd be the most efficient since the one on the front will have more air flow, and pull more heat.

I went ahead and removed the heat exchange Cornelius and setup the derale under the bed all I need now is some gauges I should be set. I just want to thank everyone for their help

Yeah, just have it set up in series. If you delete the w2w cooler, you'll most likely want to go to the derale first, then the cooler on the front of the truck. That'd be the most efficient since the one on the front will have more air flow, and pull more heat.

I deleted the stock cooler as well. I went in series with the first cooler behind the A/A intercooler and in front of the radiator. The second is a small fluidyne in the bumper opening. The third is a BD unit with fan under the truck. If the fluid is >180 degrees F, in activates the fan otherwise it just flows through

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0459.jpg
    IMG_0459.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0356.jpg
    IMG_0356.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 0
I went ahead and removed the heat exchange Cornelius and setup the derale under the bed all I need now is some gauges I should be set. I just want to thank everyone for their help

Let us know how it works. Mine got hot when towing ~10k, but I still need to add a derale, or my stock exchanger back.

I deleted the stock cooler as well. I went in series with the first cooler behind the A/A intercooler and in front of the radiator. The second is a small fluidyne in the bumper opening. The third is a BD unit with fan under the truck. If the fluid is >180 degrees F, in activates the fan otherwise it just flows through

You mean <180F I believe ;-)

I too kept the stock cooler and mounted it behind the front bumper. I used the original bracket and just welded it to the front cross member. Stock cooler is very efficient and expensive. So don't throw it away!

Yeah I junked mine as soon as I got the Derale I didn't want to risk mixing coolant with transmission fluid so I got rid of it completely

Tube coolers are built so as the higher pressure fluid is the one to be cooled and the cooling medium ie engine coolant is the lower pressure fluid so if there is a problem it will leak oil to water not the other way around. They are very reliable in 18 years of working on ships I have never seen a tube cooler fail the other way around, nothing is impossible though

Back