compound tuning help

jpschade

my buddy has a 96 with 188/220 hamilton cam, pushrods, valve springs, o'ring, 625's, ed 63/475 compounds, 024 dvs, 21 degrees of timing, 5x16s, benched 180 pump from seth, a1000, and built trans.

Ive only dealt with singles and never done much tuning with compounds. Truck has afc live and with smoked tuned out to little more than a haze its a dog. Afc on full fuel and smokes out the street without much power. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Do you know the gate is closed until you want it to be open? How much boost does it make now? Is there a gauge for the primary boost and the total boost?

About all you can do is tighten the gate on the secondary, what you describe is it's opening way to early or not closing off fully at all.

21 degrees of timing sounds to target everything in the top rpms. Is that intended? I'd take that down to 17-18. And I'd tune the wastegate to open at 28psi. I'd also ditch the 024s with better ones. AFC does not need to be full.

Last edited:
21 degrees of timing sounds to target everything in the top rpms.

I think you meant 31 deg. 21deg is what I set most everyone's trucks at for daily driving with a stock stall converter.

Sounds like a wastegate issue if the turbos aren't shot.

Back