Compound turbo set up help?

Yes, but if the .70AR non-gated housing is devided, I would use that and external wastegate. To me, the purpose of compounds are to get it to spool quick and keep that flow throughout the entire powerband.

Who makes a turbo where there housing isn't divided. I was looking at the phat shaft but it sounds like people are talking up the HTT, which is a better turbo?

Yes, but if the .70AR non-gated housing is devided, I would use that and external wastegate. To me, the purpose of compounds are to get it to spool quick and keep that flow throughout the entire powerband.

Exactly. My 62 now starts to wind out at 2000-2200 rpms which is right where my primary should really start coming on hard.

The divided .7 housing is the best option for a set of twins for towing and playing on a secondary. External waste gate is an absolute must in twins though. TMONEYDIESEL on here can hit you up with needed chargers, gates, and manifolds.

Exactly. My 62 now starts to wind out at 2000-2200 rpms which is right where my primary should really start coming on hard.

The divided .7 housing is the best option for a set of twins for towing and playing on a secondary. External waste gate is an absolute must in twins though. TMONEYDIESEL on here can hit you up with needed chargers, gates, and manifolds.

Excuse me if this is a stupid question but what is a .7 extended housing?

.7 is the AR for exhaust housing on the turbo. .7 housing is almost equivalent to a 12cm housing. Divided means it has a split entrance into housing.

Ok so if I understand correctly it would now be a 62/65/.7 rather than the 12cm and the divided housing is on the exhaust side? Do they make turbos with these specs and the housing divided, or do I gotta buy the exhaust housing and put it on?

After a lot of over reading I think I get it. So instead of the 12cm internal gated housing your saing to get a .7 divided non gated housing and add the external wastgate? Sounds like a lot of tuning lol would the 12cm gated housing be ok though?

The 12cm housing is actually a .70AR housing. They just use the CM as a reference to the Holset housings. Tuning would the any different betwee the external ant internal gate.

I would think the internal gate would be sufficient.

I've ran a 62/65-12 over a S475 for years. With Mach7s (240hp) injectors I could haul all day on my kill setting with a 6 speed. When I swapped to auto it got warm. Overall great setup

The 12cm housing is actually a .70AR housing. They just use the CM as a reference to the Holset housings. Tuning would the any different betwee the external ant internal gate.

I would think the internal gate would be sufficient.

Gotcha, Well what's better? Would you run the divided housing with external gate or the standard housing with internal gate?

I've ran a 62/65-12 over a S475 for years. With Mach7s (240hp) injectors I could haul all day on my kill setting with a 6 speed. When I swapped to auto it got warm. Overall great setup

Finally someone with exact set up I'm looking for, that's great to hear. I was thinking some DAP or CPP 7x.010 for the 62 and when I get my 475 pump it up to some 7x.012 does that sound about right?

I run a 57/65/14 over 75/96/1.32AR with 6x.013 injectors

runs about 1400-1450 @ wot all the way to redline in 6th gear with timing reduced for absolute maximum fueling/power at WOT.

with timing bumped to 10* 1350* is max @ WOT but boost is a bit less and max power is about 40hp less...great for fuel economy though. spoolup is pretty quick.

now running without wiretap fueling for towing or just daily driving, I can't get it above 1200* even revving up to redline in 6th

Last edited:
I run a 57/65/14 over 75/96/1.32AR with 6x.013 injectors

runs about 1400-1450 @ wot all the way to redline in 6th gear with timing reduced for absolute maximum fueling/power at WOT.

with timing bumped to 10* 1350* is max @ WOT but boost is a bit less and max power is about 40hp less...great for fuel economy though. spoolup is pretty quick.

now running without wiretap fueling for towing or just daily driving, I can't get it above 1200* even revving up to redline in 6th

I think you were helping me out a few months back when I was looking to build my truck on cummins performance forum. You 1st got me me rested in the Super B for a primary then add as a secondary for twins. But in think in liking the 62/65/12 route a little bit better.

should spool about the same as a super-b

just make sure the gate is plenty big and adjustable to keep drive pressures in check.

Back