Compounds

Gambler

I already have compounds, signature truck. Looking to go 5x.016 or ?.018? even. Looking to go ball bearing for both. Truck is a dd and then I pulled my boat to the lake as much as I can. 21.5' Mariah Cuddy Cabin, about 6000lbs, not exactly sure. I'm sure .018's are OVERKILL, but when someone says you don't NEED more power, get'em outta your life, because you DON'T need that negativity...:lolly:
I know my clutch is good to 750, may even pull head and have a p&p job. I recently read about a journal bearing gt4202 paired w/ a 62. Just looking for some advice. It's my understanding that Big Twin out of Idaho, puts b&b on all his stuff....thank y'all in advance.

I wouldn't suggest picking a turbo just because it is ball bearing.

Big Twin certainly does like bb chargers, Justin there had iirc a GT35 over a gt4202r that lit almost instantly and pulled hard on a 12 valve

I really like a ball bearing charger on the manifold. For the atmosphere stage just determine your flow needs and pick the charger you like.

I have had a few variations with the gt35r as the manifold charger. Most I made with that as the small charger was just under 900 uncorrected. Incredibly streetable at that power as well with the gt35r. That was with a stock head on a 12V. The atmosphere charger was much bigger than a gt4202r and pairing it with the 35 really cut its potential, but on that set I was seeing how far I could push the 35, not how far I could push the big turbo.

I wouldn't suggest picking a turbo just because it is ball bearing.

My understanding is that one goes w/ BB because it spools better...which was my thought process. Weston, you do back up what you say as where you agreed w/ 4202 under a 62...you have stated to me that I would have better manners w/ a 475/83 or 87 -1.10a/r...5x.014 inj...so would the bigger inj have the turbos light quicker or am I off track?

Spool is gonna be mostly determined by the turbine and compressor design, not the style of bearings. You'll have less parasitic loss with ball bearings than journal bearings, but I doubt it would be that noticeable. Send me a JB GT4202 and I can give you a comparison.

I appreciate the reply guys. Thank you. I'm not trying to build a speed demon and granted there is always more knowledge to gain, whether it be Inj,pump, head, or turbos...rt now, I think I'm going to change my primary to an 83/1.10...after that I'll see where I'm at.

Your primary does not dictate how your truck spools up. (As in, from an idle.)
It's your secondary that gets you moving off the line.
Then, your primary will take over, and force feed the secondary.

Your primary does not dictate how your truck spools up. (As in, from an idle.)
It's your secondary that gets you moving off the line.
Then, your primary will take over, and force feed the secondary.

You're a Ford guy, what do you know??? Lmfao...:lolly:
What is your suggestion? I'm always up for more...

Gambler, the setup on your trucks sounds pretty well matched right now. I don't know that I would go making drastic changes to be honest. If you want to go faster why not a set of Westons 7mm DV's? Cheaper and easier to install than injectors at very least. You may be pleasantly surprised. What hotside are you running now on your primary?

Last edited:
Gambler, the setup on your trucks sounds pretty well matched right now. I don't know that I would go making drastic changes to be honest. If you want to go faster why not a set of Westons 7mm DV's? Cheaper and easier to install than injectors at very least. You may be pleasantly surprised. What hotside are you running now on your primary?

To answer your question, it is a 475/96 1.32 T-6. After a little feedback from original statements, not looking at BB turbos, too much Dinero. I'm not trying to go faster, just a more responsive truck, especially thru the low to midrange rpm. It's humorous sometimes because most posts have to do w/ going faster or now days, trying to have a 1000hp DD, not saying it can't happen...:poke:
I will say this, I do know and have been advised to lower my timing a little, which is a free modification. I don't see as many post about the towing possibilities that of which theseems trucks were built to do...not talking sled pulling.
Yes, the great thing about diesels is you can build them to tow, or race, get decent fuel economy, etc....I've stated before, that when I first built my truck, I did not put enough research into my turbos:doh: on another note, I think I was a little lucky and as most out there w/ compounds have similar setups.
In your statements about 7mm's, I have been seriously thinking on that and like you said, less expensive than changing injectors. Was informed I would have a crisper throttle response. I've never been in a compounded truck so very hard to compare on certain aspects and nv4500 are a little slow anyway...

Weston advised me a while back to try the 1.10 housing on my S475 which also has the 1.32 96. I would like to give that a try at some point on my truck as the 475 can feel a bit lazy in certain situations. Currently after tuning and dialing in various things I am much happier with my setup than when I first put it together. If I had your transmission I would want as much response as possible as well.

I do have to say the he351cw is a great secondary for someone who tows alot. It is relatively small and therefore more rpm limited but cruising and towing boost numbers are great. Towing my boat I'm usually at 10 to 15 psi cruising and response is instant. I actually ended up purchasing a set of Westons 7mm DV second hand but have not install them as I still need to upgrade my fuel system to handle the extra flow. My fuel economy is actually slightly better than stock which I attribute mostly to my converter being more efficient and the he351 having better cruising boost numbers.

To answer your question, it is a 475/96 1.32 T-6. After a little feedback from original statements, not looking at BB turbos, too much Dinero. I'm not trying to go faster, just a more responsive truck, especially thru the low to midrange rpm. It's humorous sometimes because most posts have to do w/ going faster or now days, trying to have a 1000hp DD, not saying it can't happen...:poke:
I will say this, I do know and have been advised to lower my timing a little, which is a free modification. I don't see as many post about the towing possibilities that of which theseems trucks were built to do...not talking sled pulling.
Yes, the great thing about diesels is you can build them to tow, or race, get decent fuel economy, etc....I've stated before, that when I first built my truck, I did not put enough research into my turbos:doh: on another note, I think I was a little lucky and as most out there w/ compounds have similar setups.
In your statements about 7mm's, I have been seriously thinking on that and like you said, less expensive than changing injectors. Was informed I would have a crisper throttle response. I've never been in a compounded truck so very hard to compare on certain aspects and nv4500 are a little slow anyway...

I have a exhaust housing for the Borg 96mm wheel in a 1.10 if you wanna buy it.
I switched to a GT55 before I even had a chance to try it.
I bought it off this forum, used.
Lemme know.

Weston advised me a while back to try the 1.10 housing on my S475 which also has the 1.32 96. I would like to give that a try at some point on my truck as the 475 can feel a bit lazy in certain situations. Currently after tuning and dialing in various things I am much happier with my setup than when I first put it together. If I had your transmission I would want as much response as possible as well.

I do have to say the he351cw is a great secondary for someone who tows alot. It is relatively small and therefore more rpm limited but cruising and towing boost numbers are great. Towing my boat I'm usually at 10 to 15 psi cruising and response is instant. I actually ended up purchasing a set of Westons 7mm DV second hand but have not install them as I still need to upgrade my fuel system to handle the extra flow. My fuel economy is actually slightly better than stock which I attribute mostly to my converter being more efficient and the he351 having better cruising boost numbers.

The reason for my request of the 475/83 1.10 was from a conversation w/ Weston. I asked about the smaller housing and he stated it wasn't a cure all, more of a band aid...obviously our secondaries are responsible for take off and get the primary going...that's why I had mentioned larger 5.x.018's...it was my understanding that injectors are to be had before dv's, but I've also read that dv's can help a smaller injector as well...you mentioned the 7mm but are waiting because your .016's are too small? Did I assume that correctly?

I have a exhaust housing for the Borg 96mm wheel in a 1.10 if you wanna buy it.
I switched to a GT55 before I even had a chance to try it.
I bought it off this forum, used.
Lemme know.

Extended Power,

Shoot me a pm about your housing.

Gambler

I am waiting to put the 7mm's in because I am still running a stock lift pump. My fuel pressure is fine with just the 5x.016s and never seems to drop below 20psi. I'm sure that throwing the 7mm DV on top of my injectors would be asking to much from my stock mechanical lift pump. I'm actually planning on running a Walbro 450 intank pump. I usually slowly accumulate parts and then tear into it all at once for my next set of upgrades.

Gambler

I am waiting to put the 7mm's in because I am still running a stock lift pump. My fuel pressure is fine with just the 5x.016s and never seems to drop below 20psi. I'm sure that throwing the 7mm DV on top of my injectors would be asking to much from my stock mechanical lift pump. I'm actually planning on running a Walbro 450 intank pump. I usually slowly accumulate parts and then tear into it all at once for my next set of upgrades.

Good deal and thank you for the clarification on the fuel system. My FASS does quite well and I stay at a steady 30 psi, even under heavy throttle and if I change my spring, I can get 60 psi, which is pegging the fuel gauge.
In your opinion and what you have learned, how or what do you expect from the dv swap?
I would think that I may be able to stay on top of the primary better and the 62 would light quicker, but I could be wrong.

As of right now my truck cleans up to a very light haze at full throttle. The more fuel I've thrown at it so far the better it runs, the extra fueling goes a long way lighting the S475 with the 1.32 hotside. My egts are usually no more than 1200 wot. I feel pretty confident in my compound setup being right in the sweet spot with the 7mm dvs and 5x.016's. If that doesn't seem like enough I will rack and balance the pump after that.

I dynoed 473hp on an unloaded dyno, which doesn't sound that great but considering a couple tuned cr were barely over 300hp I was pretty pleased. With fuel system upgrades and dv's I feel pretty confident in the truck putting down over 550hp and hopefully break into the 600's on a loaded dyno. We will see but that is the goal for now anyways. 7mm dv's are rated to increase fueling by 100cc, so in theory they should increase potential fueling by over 100hp. Given everything I know so far about these engines it should be a very nice upgrade for my setup.

Whoops used the screen name I have on cumminsforum by accident. I didn't even know that one was active here lol!

Back