Coolant Bypass Question

DieselFan808

I have looked around and found nothing..

I've been running ideas off my mind for the past few days on a Bypass kit.
I have the general idea of what i want, but i was wondering if you have, or know of anyone, that might've ran an inline filter on the bypass.. Would it even be worth it considering it wouldn't clean until the valve pops open?

My A school was there.
Navy Seabee EO2

I'd wouldn't run one, think about how many 300,000 plus mile rigs there are out there that have never had anything special done to them filtration wise. Regular maintenance is best.

:Cheer:
Sounds good! Thanks

Yeah, i did Basic here, AIT in Relaxin Jackson, and eventually ended up here... again.
It's funny being the one in the car with the AC driving past the pri'tes that are burning up on the sidewalk. lol

Better than the looser limo in Okinawa.
These engines don't need a coolant filter nor will they benifit from one.

Better than the looser limo in Okinawa.
These engines don't need a coolant filter nor will they benifit from one.

Cool, thanks.

Quick question.. idk much about threads and what not but are -8 AN and 1/2" the same thing? Because the valve i have has a 1/2" outlet female, and i was about to order a -8 AN male to tube adapter.. until i realized that!

Not always just about the thread size but typically tubing and hose size. When it comes to bolts number designates the diameter of the bolt shank wheras with a fitting, the number designates the O.D of the hose or tubing. I've read it comes down to tolerance.

Found on Pirate 4x4.
SAE and JIC 37* flare are identical, there is no such thing as a JIC 45* flare, however, there is such a thing as a SAE 45* flare. The SAE 45* is used in low pressure applications such as plumbing and LGP or NPG installation.

Both JIC and -AN fittings are 37* flare seat angles. -AN is often incorrectly assumed to be the aluminum version of a JIC fitting, but in all actuality, -AN can be made from as many or more alloys than the garden variety JIC. Technically the fittings should not be interchanged, however, the only difference between -AN and JIC is the thread class. -AN is a military/aerospace spec fitting, with a tighter thread class (but still the same size and pitch as JIC) and is mostly intended for space shuttles and air planes. JIC was standardized to be a less costly High Pressure fitting that has no requirements of keeping a space shuttle in the atmosphere.

The fact of the matter is, that you would be extremely unlikely to find a actual -AN fitting for sale in any motorsport's catalog, or online web store. Most of the stuff marketed as AN whatever thingamajigger is actually just an anodized aluminum JIC fitting. Any true -AN fitting will be listed in it's catalog as conforming to mil spec MIL-F-5509.

Last edited:
Not always just about the thread size but typically tubing and hose size. When it comes to bolts number designates the diameter of the bolt shank wheras with a fitting, the number designates the O.D of the hose or tubing. I've read it comes down to tolerance.

Found on Pirate 4x4.

So they're basically the same aside from the quality of threads..?
I did not know any of that though. Thanks for sharing.

From what I gather, the only difference seems to be thread tolerance. I'm sure they're very close to one another. The only one being any different would be the SAE 45s which have a 45° seat angle as opposed to 37° JIC/AN, as mentioned in the quote. Threads and pitch might even be the same between them all.

Last edited:
From what I gather, the only difference seems to be thread tolerance. I'm sure they're very close to one another. The only one being any different would be the SAE 45s which have a 45° seat angle as opposed to 37° JIC/AN, as mentioned in the quote. Threads and pitch might even be the same between them all.

:thankyou2:

Back