Copper headgaskets Q's

JFlagg

Gun for Hire
I was just thinking the other day about when I am getting my head O-ringed this winter and I remembered the tractor pullers using a solid copper headgasket. I was wondering if that was better than O-rings, or even fire rings? Is this a mod that isn't so street friendly since I have only heard about it being done on tractors? Or is is just that expensive? Pros vs. Cons?

Well, Mine lasted 68 miles and only one shot of 40lbs of boost. Took 4 pistons with it!

If its a full time puller and your going to yank the head every month, sure. But dont even try it on a DD truck!

Yeah, I had a feeling that it was basically a track only mod. Just wasn't sure. I should have guessed since no one on here ever mentioned doing it, lol

Byt he way, your 7x14's idle cleaner than the 7x12's I tried (no haze) but man o man do they smoke when I get on it. I need to get my Redline soon, having no electronics sucks, lol

Have your head FIRE RINGED, I have had very good luck with them. I daily drove my truck and pulled it for 2 years and never had a problem. I also have fire rings my black truck (NED truck). I pulled the head the other day and they were still sealed perfect. I pulled with you at Mokane incase you were wondering.

Byt he way, your 7x14's idle cleaner than the 7x12's I tried (no haze) but man o man do they smoke when I get on it. I need to get my Redline soon, having no electronics sucks, lol

Thats great to hear! The 8x16's haze less than those 7x14's for some reason. Had a nice haze in them with mine, heck it never cleaned up the haze at all!. My guess is the pop off pressure is higher in those (still on a p-pump pop off) and that probably helps a lot! Love the 8x16's and cant wait to get them dynoed in Nov. and i should have them poed and get them were they should be and the haze will probably be back!

Oh and you think those 7 holes somke? Good thing you didnt run these! Heck 1/8 throttle and it looks like im pulling a sled!

Thats great to hear! The 8x16's haze less than those 7x14's for some reason. Had a nice haze in them with mine, heck it never cleaned up the haze at all!. My guess is the pop off pressure is higher in those (still on a p-pump pop off) and that probably helps a lot! Love the 8x16's and cant wait to get them dynoed in Nov. and i should have them poed and get them were they should be and the haze will probably be back!

Oh and you think those 7 holes somke? Good thing you didnt run these! Heck 1/8 throttle and it looks like im pulling a sled!

Well, I'm sure that will change. Right now I am just running on turbo and injectors since I sold my Comp box and removed the Adrenaline to sell it too. I think it needs some timing, at least an EZ or something, lol. Other than that they run great.

Glad Im not the only one those hazed with, it was more smoke than haze.

I heard pullers would buy copper sheets, cut to the size of deck, then use a hole saw to make cylinder holes. Pull the head, heat it with a torch until its almost ready to melt, then throw it in a tub of water.

Advancements have been made since those days.

Back