Cracked Block!!!

bignazty

I have a 06 cr.Icrack the block In cylinder#6 vertical crack, busted top of my piston and bent a valve. The crack runs along a water jacket. What are my options at this time is the block salvageable or total loss. Called around a few places junkyards and reman places. It is very costly to get complete reman or even a junkyard one. Just wondering what are my options at this time. I was making around 600hp and 1100ftlb torque. my goals are to get to 800hp and like 1500ftlb torque.

Sounds like a new block is in your future. No point in trying to salvage the one you have........too many future issues if you try to save it.

Ok... what or where would be a good place to get a block. most of the place I found only sells long block's no short block's.

PM Mark Nixon on here. I'm sure he has a few.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Mark will have one! It's the shipping that kills use Uship.com they are cheap! Where are you located? I've got two on the shelf in Southern CA!

I have no experience here. What problems come if you sleeved that cylinder? Possible water leak, hotspot in the bore, it keeps cracking... Time for a 6.7.

Interesting, same thing happened to my 2006. I have yet to find anyone else who has had or seen this problem. I'm curious if it was a bad casting casing irregular cylinder wall thicknesses?

I cracked a 12v block the same, head gasket leaked and it ran hot before I noticed.

Just order a 6.7 long block and put your 5.9 electronics/injectors in it. You will be very happy you went that route when a 6.7 is only a few hundred more than a 5.9, at least it was last year when I bought mine.

How dose that work will my fuel rail, intake elbow, clutch and tranny all bolt up with no mods to it. Great sounding idea is it worth doing. How much head ache is it?

Bolts right up, no harder than putting a 5.9 back in. The 6.7 breaths a lot better so a turbo upgrade might be in store, but if you are already looking at 600 I am sure you have a larger charger anyway. Just make sure they put industrial pistons in it since you have 06 injectors, otherwise you have to change the tips to 03-04.5 style.

Last edited:
Hey, I swapped my 5.9 long block for the 6.7 long block and so far ever thing has worked good and mounted up right. Till I tried to put the starter in the starter wont seem to fit. I can not get it to go flush with the bell housing. I pulling it back and it seems to be hitting the fly wheel no the gears but the housing around the gears. G56 with valair dual disc clutch. b4 I swapped it the starter work fine and fit right. IDK what the difference is. Has any one had this problem or know what I can do to fix it. What is the difference is a 5.9 starter and a 6.7 starter. will have pictures tomorrow to show better.

I'd look and see if the starter could possibly be hitting a casting boss on the block, since they are shaped just a bit different down there.
A 6.7 starter is smaller in diameter and a bit more powerful and may fit with no issue.

Also, beware using the later 5.9 injectors with the 6.7 pistons, they may not catch the bowl, since the 6.7 uses a smaller bowl than the 2004.5-2007 5.9.

The other way around is okay.

Mark.

Last edited:
I had the injectors changed over to the early spray pattern ahead of you on that.

Mine just busted the top of the #4 piston scored the walls, cracked the wall between 4 &5 and metal imbedded in the head. Bent valves. Fun times

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

We have sleeved numerous blocks for customers with cracked cylinders with good luck.

Hey, I swapped my 5.9 long block for the 6.7 long block and so far ever thing has worked good and mounted up right. Till I tried to put the starter in the starter wont seem to fit. I can not get it to go flush with the bell housing. I pulling it back and it seems to be hitting the fly wheel no the gears but the housing around the gears. G56 with valair dual disc clutch. b4 I swapped it the starter work fine and fit right. IDK what the difference is. Has any one had this problem or know what I can do to fix it. What is the difference is a 5.9 starter and a 6.7 starter. will have pictures tomorrow to show better.

You need the spacer call Valiar for it. There is no difference in Starters. What year 6.7 did you get 2010 and newer have a different crank end I think. Did you use your trans mount or was there one on the 6.7 that you used? That will be the issue!

Back